Solved

Post & Reconcile operation - How to proceed

• 10 July 2015
  • 2 replies

Badge
Hi! I want to perform a post and reconcile operation on a whole SDE geodb using FME workbench.  

I'm following the guidelines here : 

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_ReadersWriters/FME_Readers_Writers.htm#geodatabase/Writer_Directives_EntGeodbFeatClass.htm

It states that : 
 This optional directive reconciles all the changes between the version specified by the writer directive VERSION and its parent version, even those edits made outside of the current translation, and then posts the version to its parent. [...] Since reconciling is done for all features including those inserted/updated/deleted outside the current translation, then this directive can be used in an empty workspace to simply reconcile and post a child version to its parent.
 So if I understand that correctly, I can have a completely empty workbench except for a writer with the advanced attribute Post and reconcile set to yes and run the translation and it will sync the version and it's parent? Anyway, it's not working (translation is run but nothing has changed)... any idea what I am doing wrong?  Did somebody have successfully done a post reconcile by using only a writer?

I'm able to perform the task in arcpy using this snippet (but I want to do it with FME only) :   
 arcpy.ReconcileVersions_management("path/thisIsMyVersion.sde","ALL_VERSIONS","sde.DEFAULT","owner.MY_VERSION","LOCK_ACQUIRED","NO_ABORT","BY_OBJECT","FAVOR_EDIT_VERSION","POST","KEEP_VERSION","#")
 Thanks a lot!

icon

Best answer by vincethom 17 July 2015, 16:28

View original

2 replies

Badge
I got it right with the help of the Support Desk. In the doc : http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_ReadersWriters/FME_Readers_Writers.htm#geodatabase/Writer_Directives_EntGeodbFeatClass.htm

Since reconciling is done for all features including those inserted/updated/deleted outside the current translation, then this directive can be used in an empty workspace to simply reconcile and post a child version to its parent.

This is not right in FME 2014. You can't use an empty workbench, otherwise, the writer is not initialized. The post reconcile operation happens when the writer is closing but it must have been poked with an operation (Update, Insert or Delete) beforehand. 

I don’t want to insert or update a new empty row each time or create a new dummy feature class just for the sake of triggering the post/reconcile. So here is my workbench: Creator --> Attribute Creator (OBJECTID that I set to -1) --> Writer set to UPDATE. The writer will never find any rows with an objected = -1 and it won’t crash the workbench and then the post/reconcile operation will happen at the end.

Userlevel 4
Hi

Cool trick with the Creator to trigger the post/reconcile, thanks for sharing :-)

David