Solved

FME Server : ArcObjects could not be initialized. ArcGIS required for the specified Python Compatibility 'Esri ArcGIS Pro 2.1/2.2/2.3 (Python 3.6+)'

Badge +1

I have a workbench that uses a python shutdown script using the "ESRI ArcGIS Pro 2.1/2.2/2.3(Python 3.6)" python compatibility. It works fine on desktop but when published to FME server (2019) I get the following error: ArcObjects could not be initialized. ArcGIS required for the specified Python Compatibility 'Esri ArcGIS Pro 2.1/2.2/2.3 (Python 3.6+)'. I have read the following: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/73555/the-arcgis-python-36-interpreter-could-not-be-foun.html

but I am unsure that this applies to my case as I we are running FME Server 2019.0.

The same versions of FME and ArcGIS Pro are installed on both my desktop and on the machine running FME Server.

What else am I missing to get this to work on FME Server?

icon

Best answer by michaelbolling 1 June 2019, 00:35

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4

You may want to try pointing your FME Server to the ArcGIS Pro installation, look under the heading "Changing the Python interpreter" here: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Using-Python-with-FME_Server.htm

Badge +14
First off, I believe that you should only have ArcGIS Server installed on FME Server, unless you have an esri ELA.

We ran into the same issues and our solution was to login and authorize Pro under the user account that runs FME Server on the machine. We created a single use file (so it doesn't have to reach out to enterprise or a flexlm to authenticate) and used that as the license.

Hope that helps!

Badge +1
First off, I believe that you should only have ArcGIS Server installed on FME Server, unless you have an esri ELA.

We ran into the same issues and our solution was to login and authorize Pro under the user account that runs FME Server on the machine. We created a single use file (so it doesn't have to reach out to enterprise or a flexlm to authenticate) and used that as the license.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the feedback @runneals. We do have an ELA with ESRI. I did try your solution but I still received the error.

Badge +1

You may want to try pointing your FME Server to the ArcGIS Pro installation, look under the heading "Changing the Python interpreter" here: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Using-Python-with-FME_Server.htm

Thanks for the help @david_r. I did not try your solution as the article you linked was referring to FME 2016 and we are running 2019. It appears that the python compatibility I have set in my workbench should have handled this.

Badge +1

In the end I was able to solve this by working through my problems by starting a chat. I was able to get this working by changing the account FME Server Engines service uses to the same account that I installed ArcGIS Pro with. After this change my job ran successfully.

Userlevel 4

In the end I was able to solve this by working through my problems by starting a chat. I was able to get this working by changing the account FME Server Engines service uses to the same account that I installed ArcGIS Pro with. After this change my job ran successfully.

Thanks for the follow-up, very helpful for those finding these posts later! Sounds like it might have been an issue with ownership/rights to the ArcGIS Pro installation. Did you perhaps also try to give the FME Server service user all the rights to the ArcGIS Pro installation directory?

Badge +14

The main thing is that ArcGIS Pro is installed and licensed as the same user that runs the FME server jobs. If you're having issues, try logging into your server machine as the user that runs the FME server engines, and then opening Pro up to confirm if it is a Pro issue (does Pro open up and run successfully?) or an FME Server issue.

Badge +1

Thanks for the follow-up, very helpful for those finding these posts later! Sounds like it might have been an issue with ownership/rights to the ArcGIS Pro installation. Did you perhaps also try to give the FME Server service user all the rights to the ArcGIS Pro installation directory?

I did not attempt giving FME service user rights to the Pro install directory.

Badge +1

The main thing is that ArcGIS Pro is installed and licensed as the same user that runs the FME server jobs. If you're having issues, try logging into your server machine as the user that runs the FME server engines, and then opening Pro up to confirm if it is a Pro issue (does Pro open up and run successfully?) or an FME Server issue.

I did log in with the account that FME Server Engines services uses and was able to successfully open Pro but the FME job was still failing. When I changed the account the FME Server Engine was using to the account I installed Pro with it did work.

Userlevel 4

I did not attempt giving FME service user rights to the Pro install directory.

Sounds like that could be the issue, I had a very similar message when I forgot to grant sufficient rights to the ArcGIS Desktop installation.