Skip to main content

Hi FME Community, 

Here’s our Question of the Week: What industry do you work in and/or area do you specialize in? Share in the comments below.

In our recent FME Community User Survey, a strong theme emerged: you’d like to connect with fellow users in your field and share best practices relevant to your industry’s unique challenges. Stay tuned for more announcements from the survey!

New to the Question of the Week? 

Every week, we’ll post a simple but thought-provoking question that could be about your FME journey, the power of spatial data, FME innovation, or the future of FME.

Each weekly question you answer earns you an entry in our monthly draw for exclusive Safe swag and points toward badges! Answer your first question and you’ll get the Socializer (Ice Breaker) badge. Answer five questions and you’ll get the Socializer (Talker) badge.

Working at Dutch Infrastructure projects. Mostly roads and rivers.

Main data is cables & pipes, cone-penetration-testing results, flora and fauna, design, unexploded projectiles etc.

Supporting company processes by standardization and data-transformation.

Survey industry. 
pipelines, wells, access roads or even pad design, land plat official documents, etc

lots of data avenues back and forth from customers, permitting/recording authorities, and in field data collection. Automate automate automate. 

I work in the 9-1-1 industry in the United States. Specifically the GIS components that make the systems work. I primarily use FME to do Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) workflows and QAQC the data along the way.

I work in the telecom industry, in the USA. Lots of data transfer between various databases and platform specific filetypes along with data QC and analysis/report generation.

I work for the Queensland state government running the spatial team that looks after all things agricultural including disaster response and recovery for the ag sector.

I work in the spatial team for an electricity transmission utility in Australia. A long time ago we only dealt with land and property data but we’re now responsible for all spatial data.

I work in the 3D city model space for a Software Company who provides a 3D web visualization platform. Our customers are typically municipalities, however, several commercial companies also use our services to help with asset management, visualization and planning. 

I use FME almost every day for various things:

From collecting open data from various sources, creating basic 3D models from 2D, converting data into web optimised formats (Vector Tiles, 3DTiles, Tiled images), developing customer specific workflows and automations, repairing and restoring bad 3D (and 2D) data, automating in house processed, maintaining a 3D Clip and Snip tool, maintaining a generic 3D data upload pipeline. 

Nature Conservation and Cultural Heritage (in The Netherlands).

FME being used daily for all sorts of things: Observations, land ownership, building maitenance, herd monitoring, data quality monitoring, exchanging data with other nature conservation NGO’s, national databases and contractors, reporting, analysis, supporting rangers with easy data conversions, the list goes on and on. Incredibly diverse work, and thoroughly satisfying ;-)

I work for ESRI Data Interoperability (DI) product team. DI is Safe’s OEM version for our company and I am responsible for testing the product; engaging either our professional services consultants or their project customers solving real world data problems; and the best part engaging customers with their product issues when they need higher tier customer support or answering their questions in ESRI Community. Every now and then I’ll write a blog or two a year at ESRI Git or ESRI Community.

My recent specialty: an attachment with Attachments using FME/DI. 😄

I work for a local planning agency in Mexico, our department specializes in GIS, we maintain the city geospatial data, we acquire data with drones, we process and transform data and we also build geospatial apps and scripts to make use of the data, mostly web based and mostly with open source solutions.

I work for a geospatial consulancy firm in the Netherlands. My specialty is probably best described as ‘The FME Platform itself’.

My main goal is to help colleagues build the best possible integrations for our customers, using the FME platform. Also, I try to investigate new possibilities and capabilities of FME, and advise customers how to get the most out of their investment in FME.

The Energy industry: mainly Oil & Gas. I specialize dealing with the geodetic and/or survey issues that arise when we are building new facilities, exploring new areas or expanding/maintaining our existing infrastructure.

I use FME for whatever our customers need - so you could say that I work in all industries! In the past I’ve worked in local government, emergency services (police), utilities (water), land survey, oil and gas, civil engineeering, and a bunch more! I just wish I’d had FME for all of those!

I feel very lucky to say I work in the humanitarian field (which never seems to show up on an “industry” list 😂) at Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders).  
I suppose we could say “healthcare” but humanitarian work is very special.  Yes indeed some of the maps and apps we produce are healthcare related supporting things like epidemiology, vaccination campaigns or community health care. But we also use FME to support our work in safety & security, water & sanitation logistics and more!

I’m working for a local Dutch FME partner, started the company a long time ago by myself and now employ several people.

The majority of our work is FME related, pre-sales, supporting our clients, developing training materials, giving training and so on. We also do projects on a regular basis and with my background in cartography they often fall in that field, including full-on map production work. As that is sometimes for academic clients we work with a very wide range of subjects.

Some current/recent work:

• A globe! This would be like the 10th or 12th globe project over the years and this one requires some FME to make it work.
  • Tourism maps for a small European country
  • Maps for a documentary series! For which we used FME to track a historic smallpox epidemic. Can’t say much more about this as I’m under an NDA
  • Maps of Soviet nuclear power plants (receiving an email with the subject “More Nuke Maps Please” is a relatively common thing here)
  • Maps of Franklin’s ill-fated Arctic expedition (requiring me to reference period maps to figure out if a certain London bridge was there when he set sail, I’m a sucker for details like that)

I work as a consultant for a FME partner. Using FME daily to solve different tasks. Right now these tasks are involving gml creation from various data source types, incorporating an advanced error checking and correction system that gathers different kinds of errors and collects these into an excel as well as geopackage to be able to compare input and output data. Another thing I’m currently working on is preparing for FME webinars. During the years I’ve worked a lot with 3D data (Buildings, lidar data etc) within FME, transforming 3D data from various sources into both ArcGIS/CityEngine and Unreal Engine. I’ve also done a lot with combining FME with Python, running FME as a subprocess within Python and using python within FME, creating python addins for ArcMap that uses FME, as well as using APIs to gather data automatically for updating databases.

I’m working as a systems engineer, at a growing IT consultant firm in Sweden. We work with a wide range of customers, including many in the forestry industry.