Question

How can I get the path of a tool when using Data Interoperability Extension for ArcGIS?

• 14 April 2016
  • 2 replies

When using FME Desktop, you can use relative paths or the FME_HOME system parameter in the workspace to locate a data source or other resources in relation to the FMW executable location on disk. However, when using the Data Interoperability extension for ArcGIS, the FMW executable is stored in a different folder than the toolbox - for example my data interop toolbox is located in D:\\data-interop, but the actual FMW file is in C:\\users\\myuser\\AppData\\Local\\Safe Software\\Interoperability\\ArcCatalog in an ArcGIS-managed folder that seems to change names.

Is there any way to use the toolbox location path in a data interop workspace, or create relative paths using the toolbox location?

2 replies

Badge +16

Hmm, Data Interop's behavior is a function of the FMW eventually being embedded within an ArcGIS toolbox, so it will be unwise to chase fmw files around the file system, those are just temporary between saves. You will be pleased to know that we're currently designing ArcGIS Pro FMW files to live outside TBX and on disk just like vanilla FME, but this will be in a future release.

Hmm, Data Interop's behavior is a function of the FMW eventually being embedded within an ArcGIS toolbox, so it will be unwise to chase fmw files around the file system, those are just temporary between saves. You will be pleased to know that we're currently designing ArcGIS Pro FMW files to live outside TBX and on disk just like vanilla FME, but this will be in a future release.

Great news! To clarify, I'm not looking to get paths relative to the FMW file, I want paths relative to the toolbox where the tool is embedded. Is that currently possible, or do I need to wait for the Pro FMW files to come out?