Solved

Difference between Esri ArcGIS Server Feature Service Reader/Writer.and Esri ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Reader/Writer

• 22 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I am making my first workspace that uses a reader for a hosted feature layer from Portal. I notice that I am able to use the Esri ArcGIS Server Feature Service Reader/Writer as well as the Esri ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Reader/Writer to achieve this. 

My question is what is the difference? As the end result was the same for both.

The Esri ArcGIS Server Feature Service Reader/Writer seemed far simpler to use as all I needed was the user and password plus the feature layer URL while for the Esri ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Reader/Writer I had to enter the host, user, password and feature service which was the folder location of the feature layer plus the feature service ID on the end in brackets in order to get it to work. 

I am using FME 2018.0 as well if that makes a difference. 

icon

Best answer by j.botterill 25 March 2024, 04:30

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

A simple answer summary would be:

1. ArcGIS Server reader/write is looking for a REST URL of the web service. It offers more basic authentication and is often used in open data portals where you need the URL and often need to use the GetCapabilities to understand what the service has enabled.
  2. The ArcGIS Portal Feature Service will utilise your Server Enterprise organization and authenticate typically using oAuth protocol via a web connection. It requires some setup from your ArcGIS administrator, where you pass a client and secret into FME web connections under manage services. When you authorise, you use your account to interact with the organisation, meaning you only access content that is shared via groups. The advantages are many, particularly around discovering all the feature services in your organisation via parameters within the reader/writer.

I don’t think much fundamental functionality is different back in 2018, but an upgrade to a recent version would have a number of potential bugs removed for the Portal. I appreciate you need to consider ersi/fme compatibility