Question

Assign SLD to KML

• 11 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Hi everyone!

I’ll try to explain what we need...

Nowadays, we have a download system based on Geoserver. When someone wants to download some data in KML format from the viewer, the data contain the same style you are displaying. So, you can open this KML in Google Earht and you can display it with the same symbology. 

Now, we want to change this download system and we want to do it using FME. But, when we download a KML, we have lost the symbology, beacuse we get data from database, not from Geoserver. Nevertheless, Geoserver contains SLD files from each layer. 

KMLStyler transformer can assign an static symbology, but this isn't what we want.

The question is, is there any way to assign dynamicly, the SLD to KML, in order to display with the right symbology? That is, can we read he content of SLD and assign the colours to KML?

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @dxirgu.

Check out the GeoServer SLD Ramp Creator Custom Transformer. In short, it allows you to use styles from GeoServer; which, I believe, may be linked to symbology. It is an older transformer (2019), let me know if it works. It does require some knowledge of REST, which it references the GeoServer SLD REST Service documentation.

Best,

Badge +3

Hi, @AliAtSafe.

Thank you so much for your answer. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that SLDRampCreator create a symbology, but we have already created, that is, SLD file exists on Geoserver. What we need is a way to link this file in FeatureWriter in order to build KML file with the simbology that we defined in SLD file.