Skip to main content
Question

ArcGIS Online Feature Service Reader Error

• 18 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi All,

I have written a workspace that downloads features (and attachments) from an AGOL Feature Service, and everything was working fine until about 2 weeks ago. Then it suddenly, and for no reason that I can see, stopped working. The error message is as below:

2024-07-12 09:38:47|   5.7|  2.1|ERROR |ArcGIS Online Feature Service Reader: Could not connect to server. Check that you are connected to the internet and that no firewall is blocking outbound connections. The error was 'HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.arcgis.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /sharing/rest/portals/self?f=json&token=3NKHt6i2urmWtqOuugvr9Xotftc2MEsOx2iLqu8k_LPVAUrx4ptneDwWq5gGHyWsx9gLJB14s-YhL9BcQ6A71ysFhsv00tTqKaTLWA9OxAioggyddpHKGcxUfwKFMnzU-m7-SshOGN98nlYOd2uB9-LSYOpHZbnxGUhNJ_3nnRQntaumsDD__7bZqpHVciIFHkLU-of9RGgQ17FdVaDRxF6HcXcbq9Sm4XmdkzD7LqM-h_2jGsOM8HOeFBSI6iINhlNJE65A50NL1eFOJ-gGgg.. (Caused by ConnectTimeoutError(<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x000000001D666D10>, 'Connection to www.arcgis.com timed out. (connect timeout=3600)'))'
2024-07-12 09:38:47|   5.7|  0.0|ERROR |Python Exception <FMEException>: FMEException: 926856: ArcGIS Online Feature Service Reader: Could not connect to server. Check that you are connected to the internet and that no firewall is blocking outbound connections. The error was 'HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.arcgis.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /sharing/rest/portals/self?f=json&token=3NKHt6i2urmWtqOuugvr9Xotftc2MEsOx2iLqu8k_LPVAUrx4ptneDwWq5gGHyWsx9gLJB14s-YhL9BcQ6A71ysFhsv00tTqKaTLWA9OxAioggyddpHKGcxUfwKFMnzU-m7-SshOGN98nlYOd2uB9-LSYOpHZbnxGUhNJ_3nnRQntaumsDD__7bZqpHVciIFHkLU-of9RGgQ17FdVaDRxF6HcXcbq9Sm4XmdkzD7LqM-h_2jGsOM8HOeFBSI6iINhlNJE65A50NL1eFOJ-gGgg.. (Caused by ConnectTimeoutError(<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x000000001D666D10>, 'Connection to www.arcgis.com timed out. (connect timeout=3600)'))'

Now my assumption is that this is an IT related issue, but they claim nothing has changed. And certainly when I test the web connection it succeeds, it’s only when trying to access Feature Services through a reader that this error occurs. So any ideas what might be happening? For reference, edition and version numbers below, I have also tried this on 2023 with the same error. Also to note, others on different PCs have been able to get this workspace to work, but also another team member has replicated the issue.

Edition: Data Interoperability, Fixed OEM License
Version: FME(R) 2024.0.1.0 (20240328 - Build 24202 - WIN64)

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hi,

I am thinking it is your environment, but lets run some tests. Attached is workspace which you can enable and disable bookmarks.

The first reads a public service in ArcGIS Online using the ArcGIS FeatureServerReader

The second reads the same layer, but this time, using the ArcGIS Online Reader

The third bookmark makes a http call to your own ArcGIS Online environment (the same call as referenced in your error message) and it it works correctly, you will get your Org ID returned in a field called “id”

These all work, so if one fails in your environment, you know you have a problem.

Cheers,

Todd

Badge +2

Hi Todd,

Thank you for the response, I checked using all 3 methods and they all worked. Turns out though when I then tried against the exact feature service that was causing problems it also worked. So I opened my original workspace and tried running it and - it worked. So not sure if you included some magic in your example or whether my IT department somehow fixed the issue in the background and decided not to tell me, but everything seems to be working again now!

Cheers

Dan