Skip to main content

Hi.

I have a need for a single user/department to be able to activate a handful of workspaces on my FME server.

I can build a Server App, but it's tied to a single workspace.

Is there a way, apart from building a launch page externally, or making multiple server apps, to have a single FME Server App support multiple workspace activations ?

Cheers

Hi!

My workaround to this problem was to make a small workspace that has a FMEServerTopicNotifier, set to a specific topic. Then I have an automation with a few workspaces chained together that has a trigger on a message to that topic. In this case, it just refreshes some data in a database, so there's no output to capture. Is that a requirement on your end? Otherwise, the solution I described might be a workaround.

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

If you don't have to control the order that the workspaces run in, I think you could also use an FMEServerJobSubmitter transformer to trigger the subsequent workspaces. If you built them into the workspace that is connected to the Server App, then when the user triggered that one, the others would then be triggered as well.

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

If you don't have to control the order that the workspaces run in, I think you could also use an FMEServerJobSubmitter transformer to trigger the subsequent workspaces. If you built them into the workspace that is connected to the Server App, then when the user triggered that one, the others would then be triggered as well.

Thanks, but every workspace represent a different job, and each basically just needs to be started in an ad-hoc manner. So a launch pad with multiple firing buttons if you will.

But if - as a work-around - I strip all parameters, I guess I could make one master workspace, and a choice list of workspaces as its single parameter. Hmmmm.

How about a Server Gallery app? It still means you need a separate app per workspace, but it's a nice way to bring them together into a central page.

Otherwise, as others have said, the most likely way is a FMEServerJobSubmitter, or to hit an automation that runs multiple workspaces. As you mention, you could create a master workspace with a single parameter where users get to pick the workspaces to run, and take it from there with the JobSubmitter.

We are looking at ways to integrate apps better with automations, so that may be a help in future cases.

How about a Server Gallery app? It still means you need a separate app per workspace, but it's a nice way to bring them together into a central page.

Otherwise, as others have said, the most likely way is a FMEServerJobSubmitter, or to hit an automation that runs multiple workspaces. As you mention, you could create a master workspace with a single parameter where users get to pick the workspaces to run, and take it from there with the JobSubmitter.

We are looking at ways to integrate apps better with automations, so that may be a help in future cases.

Thanks Mark.

I did make the master workspace for now, but unfortunately there's no FMEServerWorkspaceFinder transformer, so the list of workspaces is hard coded.

Server Gallery Apps ?

Ah, I'm working on our production server which I've only upgraded the engines of since 2020.0. So this is a new feature in the 2020.1 or .2 UI I guess. I did a full upgrade of our test server to 2020.2, and it does contain the gallery apps feature.

Unfortunately they seem to be just as hard coded as my master workspace, but I'll look into them soon enough.

I haven't gotten around to upgrading the servers to 2021 yet, as I want to solve the issue of running the servers with AD service accounts before upgrading.