Skip to main content

Hi.

I've had a close look at the FME Server API.

It seems that I can download a list of uploaded workspaces in a server repository, and get the timestamps of their upload.

I can compare those timestamps to the file timestamps of my master repository on a file share, and determine which ones that need to be updated on the server.

And there is a nice function to replace an item (PUT /repositories/< repository >/items/< item > ), but the notes say: Note: This endpoint is for internal use by FME Workbench and is not supported for external applications.

Does this means that automating uploads to an FME Server is undocumented and impossible as-is ?

Or is there another way (apart from hacking via a file access) ?

Cheers.

I can't exactly remember where or when, but someone from Safe once told me that the FME Desktop publishing wizard does a fair amount of checks and minor adjustments to the workspace before it pushes it to the API. Specifically, it disabled all Desktop-specfic functionality that could potentially degrade server performance. One obvious example would be disabling Inspectors.

This is why Safe doesn't recommend updating the server workspaces without going through the publishing wizard, either using the API endpoint or by direct file access.

Hopefully someone from Safe can chime in and tell us if there is a roadmap for changing this in the near future.

I can't exactly remember where or when, but someone from Safe once told me that the FME Desktop publishing wizard does a fair amount of checks and minor adjustments to the workspace before it pushes it to the API. Specifically, it disabled all Desktop-specfic functionality that could potentially degrade server performance. One obvious example would be disabling Inspectors.

This is why Safe doesn't recommend updating the server workspaces without going through the publishing wizard, either using the API endpoint or by direct file access.

Hopefully someone from Safe can chime in and tell us if there is a roadmap for changing this in the near future.

At least I can use my workspace to list those workspaces, that need to be updated. But it would be nice to be able to perform the upload oneself, so I can just schedule and forget about it.

I've previously asked about an option to disable all inspectors when saving a workspace to an *.fme file, which I use for homemade automation (instead of *.fmw). Maybe it's time to ask about it again ? 😉

At least I can use my workspace to list those workspaces, that need to be updated. But it would be nice to be able to perform the upload oneself, so I can just schedule and forget about it.

I've previously asked about an option to disable all inspectors when saving a workspace to an *.fme file, which I use for homemade automation (instead of *.fmw). Maybe it's time to ask about it again ? 😉

Not quite what you're asking, but there is a command line parameter to disable the opening of Inspectors after the workspace terminates, see at the bottom of the page here: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/Workbench/Running_a_Workspace_with_Published_Parameters.htm

Actually it looks like it's a parameter to _enable_ inspectors, as the default value is NO (= disabled).

In my previous experience, I have had inspectors pop up when running command lines, but maybe that's reversed in 2020 ?

I will go investigate.

I agree that it's not entirely clear. I'd be glad to hear the results of your tests.

I tested it, with both .fmw and .fme, at it does seem that FME 2020.2 doesn't show any Inspectors.

Yay!

I'll test it with the older versions I have installed, just in case.

Well, 2019.2 does show inspectors, when running the workspace on a command line, so the issue's been fixed in 2020.

Good to know. Thanks David for clearing that up.

And I did a final additional test, running the 2016 workspace in 2020. And the inspectors appeared :-(

So it seems that the updated behaviour is tied to the workspace itself being made in 2020. Older workspaces run in 2020 still yields problems.

At first I did the workspace in 2020, and ran it in 2020, and this worked. Then I redid the workspace in 2016.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

And 2019 workspaces work, but 2018 workspaces don't.

Since noone from Safe has added any insights to this query, I'll park it for now as unresolved.