Question

New warnings with FME 2023 cause translation error

• 26 September 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

Hello,

I have just updated FME: 2022 -> 2023 (2023.0.2 (20230727 - Build 23338 - WIN64). Checking that this upgrade doesn't cause errors when running several important processes, I see this warning message in the log of one of them:

POSTGRES Writer: Renamed user attribute 'attribute{0}.fme_data_type' to 'attribute{0}_fme_data_type' based on format constraints for invalid characters, length, and case

POSTGRES Writer: Renamed user attribute 'attribute{0}.name' to 'attribute{0}_name' based on format constraints for invalid characters, length, and case

This message was absent with the previous version. The transformer concerned is a FeatureWriter whose parameters are shown below. It has two upstream branches: one for table schemas, the other for features.

Adding all these entries to the log file slows down processing considerably and, when many features are processed, the file can even saturate the disk (up to 40GB!).

I've temporarily deactivated the warning logs but I'd like to be able to reactivate them because they're useful for maintenance purposes. I haven't found a definitive solution to avoid these new messages: they concern dynamic attributes whose characteristics are not known in advance. So I can't use version 2023 in production.

Thank you for your help

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

I think you need to go to the User Attributes tab and remove the attributes starting with "fme_". These are always there when creating a Dynamic FeatureWriter and you probably don't want them in the resulting tables.

Badge +4

There is no fme attributes in User Attributes tab. The only attributes used are dynamic list attributes and are required for processing.imageimage

@dhaulagiri were you able to find a working solution for this issue, other than disabling logs? I'm experiencing a similar issue. The workspace is now so slow it is no longer practical. Thanks.

Badge +4

Hello,

No, I haven't found a solution yet. I've contacted French technical support, but to no avail. I have to call them again regularly, because I can't switch to version 2023 without a solution. If you find something, I'm interested too. Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

It looks like your features have a list named attribute. Can you remove that list using an AttributeRemover?

@dhaulagiri Did deactivating warning logs improve performances? On my side I don’t see any difference, just the absence of logs slowly not being logged.

The problem is the same with non a dynamic workspace and a BulkAttributeRenamer, for some reason I get:

POSTGIS Writer: Renamed user attribute 'fid' to 'fid00' based on format constraints for invalid characters, length, and case

The attribute ‘fid’ shouldn’t pose any problem here when writing in Postgres.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

This is a known bug, see 

We're currently aware of a bug that is affecting all Esri formats writers (and PostGIS/PostgreSQL writers when "use lowercase attribute names" is enabled).

The issue results in excessive log warnings related to the renaming of attributes. This includes attributes that are not getting written to the target file/table, such as format attributes (ex. fme_feature_type, fme_data_type). In some cases, FME will log one error message per attribute per row, which not only causes huge bloat in the log file but also can cause performance slowdowns.

We've tagged the issue as critical and will update everyone here once we've released a fix.

The ticket number for this issue is FMEENGINE-81406.

At the moment to workaround the issue you can either disable Log Warnings via FME Options, or you can try using an AttributeExposer + AttributeRemove to remove the attributes before they reach the writer that is logging the warnings.