Solved

Inspector: Failed to create the reader in the worker process for 2D rendering

Show first post

49 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33
@nielsgerrits Yes I deleted the old folder before installing, if that is what you mean?

@draganasubotic1 did virtualcitymatt's solution solve the problem?

Badge

@nielsgerrits

Hi, yes in the end I contacted Safe Support, and it turns out installing the 32bit version solves the issue. So right now I am not seeing this error anymore, but still the question is what caused it in the first place, and will it happen again ...

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

@nielsgerrits

Hi, yes in the end I contacted Safe Support, and it turns out installing the 32bit version solves the issue. So right now I am not seeing this error anymore, but still the question is what caused it in the first place, and will it happen again ...

Thanks, will try.
Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Work around is to borrow a license from the license server. Not really a fix but it works well enough for now!

The weird part is that not one of the other users with the same installation on the same hardware in the same network connecting to the same license server have this problem.

Badge +7
Thanks, will try.
Seems like this is in fact not a perfect fix, although seems to provide temporary relief.

Nathan
Badge +5

Work around is to borrow a license from the license server. Not really a fix but it works well enough for now!

The weird part is that not one of the other users with the same installation on the same hardware in the same network connecting to the same license server have this problem.

Hi @nielsgerrits, borrowing a license does not make any difference for me. I still get the error. How did you come to this conclusion?

Badge +5

@nielsgerrits

For me I get the error in both 64 and 32 bit versions. So the 32 bit version is unfortunately no workaround either.

Badge +5
@ekkischeffler We got the new laptop yesterday. Sadly we didn't got a clean one: IT installed the AutoDesk software (which I think is a possible cause of the problem). Same result: Most recent 2018 FME Desktop version will not work. Last 2017 FME Desktop version works flawless.
I also have a range of Autodesk applications installed on my machine. However, these have always been there and FME 2018 worked fine all the time. I did not change the Autodesk installations so I doubt that the error is related.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33
Hi @nielsgerrits, borrowing a license does not make any difference for me. I still get the error. How did you come to this conclusion?

@ekkischeffler quite a bit trial and error I'm afraid. Our floating license server is on a different network where we connect to using VPN. Connecting to the license server after installing the software on the new machine felt gooey so this inspired me to try to borrow a license.

In our case I think the issue is windows profile related because when the user got new hardware the problem reappeared. When I logged on with my profile on his machine I got no issues...

What we tried, but didn't make any difference:

- 32-bit installer

- Uninstall all FME versions, delete C:\\Users\\<user>\\AppData\\Roaming\\Safe Software, remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Safe Software Inc., reboot, install FME 2018.1.

- Install FME 2018.1 on a new, clean, laptop.

I now suspect it might be an old, node locked license file confusing the Inspector. I'm gonna check out the directories where license files might live when the user is back at the office. (As this is not my hardware/login it's even harder to solve...) Locations can be:

- <fme-install-folder>/licenses

- C:\\ProgramData\\Safe Software\\FME\\Licenses

- C:\\users\\<user>\\Documents\\FME\\Licenses

I expect to find something in the last folder.

Yes borrowing a licence works for me as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33
Yes borrowing a licence works for me as well.

Thanks for your feedback.
Badge +7

Hi all,

We may have narrowed down this issue and found a potential workaround. Please contact Safe Support if you encounter the error indicated by the OP, and provide a log file from Data Inspector showing the error as well as a screen shot of the "About FME Workbench Dialog" from FME Workbench (this shows us the current license and edition information which is important for troubleshooting the issue).

An initial workaround is to try to borrow a license if you are using a floating license, although this is not applicable in all situations.

Thanks for your continued patience as we work through this issue.

Best,

Nathan
Badge +5

Hi all,

We may have narrowed down this issue and found a potential workaround. Please contact Safe Support if you encounter the error indicated by the OP, and provide a log file from Data Inspector showing the error as well as a screen shot of the "About FME Workbench Dialog" from FME Workbench (this shows us the current license and edition information which is important for troubleshooting the issue).

An initial workaround is to try to borrow a license if you are using a floating license, although this is not applicable in all situations.

Best,

Nathan
Thanks very much @NathanAtSafe, the workaround you've sent me via email works for me. I'm glad I can use 2018.1 now.

Ekki

Hi all,

Best,

Nathan

So, what is the solution? I just ran into this, and borrowing a license does nothing for me.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

So, what is the solution? I just ran into this, and borrowing a license does nothing for me.

@igatchik We're still not 100% certain of the problem yet. The solution for others might not help you. As @NathanAtSafe said, please contact Safe Support.

Badge +21

New computer and I have the same issue :(

Failed to initialize the reader in the temporary rendering process
Failed to create the reader in the worker process for 2D rendering

Will try to install 32-bit now to see if it fixes the issue on the 64-bit.

Tried both latest 2018 and 2019 BETA (64-bit).

Badge +21

Installing 32-bit FME does not help either.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

@sigtill please contact Safe Support. They can help you with a functioning workaround.

Badge +21

@sigtill please contact Safe Support. They can help you with a functioning workaround.

@nielsgerrits - the workaround from Safe (regedit ++) makes FME start a new FME Data Inspector every time, instead of using the existing one. So it creates a delay of starting FME Data Inspector (20sec) every time i click inspect features. It seems to ignore the already opened FME Data Inspector. I`ll get back to them again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

@nielsgerrits - the workaround from Safe (regedit ++) makes FME start a new FME Data Inspector every time, instead of using the existing one. So it creates a delay of starting FME Data Inspector (20sec) every time i click inspect features. It seems to ignore the already opened FME Data Inspector. I`ll get back to them again.

@sigtill excuse me, I was not aware of that as I didn't need to use this solution. The 20 sec drawback sounds not workable for me either.

Badge +7

Hi @sigtill,

Would you consider opening a support ticket so we can investigate the issue more thoroughly? With more information about the problem hopefully we can get closer to a fix rather than a workaround.

Thanks,

Nathan

Badge +5

Hi @sigtill,

Would you consider opening a support ticket so we can investigate the issue more thoroughly? With more information about the problem hopefully we can get closer to a fix rather than a workaround.

Thanks,

Nathan

Hi @NathanAtSafe, in case it helps - the workaround that you fixed my inspector with didn't result in this issue. For me, the same instance of FME Data Inspector is being used each time I run, opening new tabs.

For your information: I just encountered the same message too. After closing all instances of FME desktop and inspector and restarting the same workbench, this error no longer appears.

FME(R) 2018.1.0.1 (20180730 - Build 18528 - WIN64)

Badge +6

Please let me bump this: 

on version FME(R) 2023.1.0.0 (20230825 - Build 23619 - WIN64)