Question

How to use Esri Geodatabase writer to fanout to multiple Feature Classes nested in multiple dynamically named/created Feature Datasets?

• 20 December 2022
  • 4 replies

I have multiple .dwg files I am trying to convert to feature classes.

However I would like to nest the resulting feature classes inside a feature dataset that has the same name as the input .dwg file.

I have tried to change the Feature Dataset name to @Value(fme_basename) under Table Creation Parameters after previously exposing fme_basename:

ScreenshotBut running the workspace with the above displays this error in the logs:

"Esri Geodatabase Writer: Creating feature dataset '@Value_fme_basename_'An error occurred while attempting to create a feature dataset. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147220654'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {The table name is invalid.}

GEODATABASE_FILE writer: A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details"

When I remove @Value(fme_basename) and just write a regular string, it works.

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

What are the names of the DWG files you are dealing with? Feature class names must begin with a letter and must only contain alphanumeric characters or underscores.

What are the names of the DWG files you are dealing with? Feature class names must begin with a letter and must only contain alphanumeric characters or underscores.

I've renamed the files to DrawingA, DrawingB etc. so I'm fairly sure it's not a naming convention issue... also the feature classes create fine using @Value, but when using @Value(fme_basename) in the feature dataset , it gives me the error that 'the table name is invalid. fme_basename is simply DrawingA, DrawingB etc.

Badge +2

@lxk​ It doesn't look like you can use an attribute for the Feature Dataset in the Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb) writer. But in the Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API) writer you can use:

@Value(fme_basename)/@Value(Layer)

in the Feature Class or Table Name.

We'll try and get this changed in the Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb) writer.

Badge

@markatsafe - has this been resolved? I had upgraded to Workbench 2023 but it would no longer allow writing to a feature dataset inside a file geodatabase, even if I hand type the correct filename structure. I rolled back to 2022 so I can continue my work flow, but would like to know if this has been addressed since I have several scripts writing to feature datasets. Thanks.