Skip to main content
Question

FME Flow - Error Communicating with FME Server host localhost

• 20 August 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello,

So the following issue that was suppose to be fixed with version 2018.1 and onwards is not completely dealt with

image.png

The issue seems to point to an error related to UNC paths using international characters when adding Network Resources as pointed out by this article:

https://support.safe.com/hc/en-us/articles/25407651730573-No-FME-Engines-Available-After-Adding-Network-Based-Resource

According to the article this error was fixed from 2018.1 onwards. However I found out that using a space in the UNC path will cause a similar error (if not the same) and the only way to fix it is to remove the Network Resource with the space in their UNC Path. 

I’ve tried with different versions and so far the error shows up even on 2024.1.

This UNC path generates the error:

• \\seerver\Customers\Data In

When the above UNC path is added to the Network Resources, the system is able to recognize the path and creates the respective folder in the Resources (granted you need to have the right permissions for the network folder in order for it to work). If you change to the System configuration or Backup Menu you won't have any issues at that time. The error pops up when the services are restarted (specifically the FMEFlowAppServer service). After the restart of the services, you are still able to access the Network Resource but if you go to the System Config or Backup Menu you will get the error pop up like the image above.

To fix the error you have to remove the Network Resource with the space in their UNC Path and restart the FMEFlowAppServer again (although I suggest restarting all the services to make sure everything starts up properly).

Although the error only shows when you go into the System Configuration or Backup & Restore menu options in FME Flow app, it also prevents you from running jobs as there is no communication with the Engine.

Hi @rzel24

I’m sorry you are encountering this issue. I’ve tried to reproduce or find an existing issue matching what you’ve described but so far I haven’t been able to. Would you mind opening a support case with us or the company you purchased FME from? This would allow us to get more details on your set up and reproduce it better. 

Thank you! 
Sienna

Curious if you have filed this and have you tried slash at the end?

i.e. \\server\Customers\Data In\

Thanks.