Skip to main content
Solved

FME 2018 Server Upgrade to FME 2023

• 26 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Good morning,

I amplanning to upgrade FME 2018 server to FME 2023 , I have 200-250 ETL in 2018. Usually how many ETLs in 2018 will be impacted on the average when upgrading to FME 2023.  On the average, how long it takes to upgrade from FME 2028 to FME 2023, the whole process. I know it depends on the organization setup but just in general how long it takes to upgrade. Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Hi Guriya,

Unfortunately, we don’t track the number of issues encountered during user upgrades, so I don’t have direct answers to your questions. We also don't have statistics on how long it typically takes users to upgrade. However, hopefully, some of our partners can share their experiences.

From my experience, the installation and migration process is usually quick. The most time-consuming step tends to be testing the workspaces, as it requires time to review to ensure the output is correct. 

Kind regards, 

Sienna

Userlevel 6
Badge +35

The last upgrade we did, for one of our customers, ended up taking about half a day for the actual FME Flow part. However, their IT department took that upgrade as an opportunity to set up SSO (Azure AD) and SSL at the same time, which added another half day to it.

This was a rather simple setup: an express installation and only a small number of workspaces/users and a relatively small version gap, I think it went from 2021 to 2023. If your setup is more complex (e.g. a distributed install or custom components) it will take more time. 

Then for the workspaces, it all should work, especially if you’re upgrading to the same machine. It would make sense to go through at least the most often used ones and upgrade transformers there to see if there is a performance gain there, but that in itself can be a lengthy process.

If you have the option of trying this out in a staging environment first I would very strongly recommend that.

Badge +1

Thanks for detail reply

Badge +1

Hi Guriya,

Unfortunately, we don’t track the number of issues encountered during user upgrades, so I don’t have direct answers to your questions. We also don't have statistics on how long it typically takes users to upgrade. However, hopefully, some of our partners can share their experiences.

From my experience, the installation and migration process is usually quick. The most time-consuming step tends to be testing the workspaces, as it requires time to review to ensure the output is correct. 

Kind regards, 

Sienna

Thanks for your help