Skip to main content
Question

Writing SQL Server views to Excel works with database connection A fails with database connection B?

• 25 July 2024
  • 1 reply

I have an .fmw that reads a series of SQL Server views then writes the returned values to a templated Excel spreadsheet and it worked while using our DEV SQL server (A). When I replace the existing database connection to verify it works on our Production SQL Server(B) the value in one cell is missing in the Excel spreadsheet. I get 0 errors, 0 warnings using (A) or (B) connection. All the remaining view results are there and correct. Verified that the SQL VIEWS exist on both servers and refreshed both just in case-same results. I can select the views via SSMS and get the correct data on (A) and (B). 

I tried deleting the one failed writer and re-adding it: same results.

I tried deleting the reader supplying the view information and re-adding it: same results.

Thoughts? Using FME Form Desktop Version 2023.1

1 reply

Badge +3

Had a (smarter) coworker review things:

the SQL alias being used for the return value of the SQL View from DEV database connection(A) had a different alias for the return value than found in PROD database connection(B) for the same view name.

Which is bad.

So! Dropped and recreated the view in PROD database connection(B) and made sure to recreate the view using the same SCRIPT file used to create the view DEV datatbase connection(A). Verified that (A) and (B) now returned the same alias name. They did.

Reran the .fmw file with NO changes and voila! Everything worked as hoped. SQL issue NOT FME issue at all.