Skip to main content
I have Feature layer which is made with FME at AGOL. Now I would like to update that layer, but translation fails every time. I am using Esri ArcGIS Online (AGOL) Feature Service writer and Format Parameters are Writer Mode = INSERT, Truncate Layer First = YES and Rollback On Failure = YES. I think that it should work with those parameters. If I delete layer from AGOL, then it works fine, but if I don't delete layer, then translation fails. I would not like to delete layer manually. How to update AGOL Feature layer with FME?
Try using a "dynamic schema". It worked for some of my files, but I am still having problems with other ones.  
Did you find a solution?

I can create a new web service but cannot update a feature type or import the feature_type definition. An attempt to do yields an error, part of it shown below

S8DahYFT6GSonuXbIblJNIPeHURBuh0qHn6pQqV2oUarBTXcimU6f0uz896jpOqgM0z0AZnXFmYARVPbZt0zRC6KHp9PQ (Caused by <class 'socket.error'>: :Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond)'

It seems strange that feature services with layers can be created but can't be modified
No, I have not found solution. I guess it is not possible at the moment.
Just saw this but had this issue this past summer when trying to create a workflow to update an AGOL feature service/layer. I dug through a lot of the documentation, and IIRC the issue basically became that the AGOL writer would only let you update records that were already in the feature service. You could not add or delete records. This isn't ideal, so I tried a work around of creating an initial service with far more (blank) records than I would ever need to see if the writer would then "update" those records, but it didn't work either. I gave up. Hopefully there will be an update to this soon.

It should definitely be possible to update, insert, and delete records in an existing feature service using the ArcGIS Online writer in FME. To do all three with one writer, you would have to tag each feature as an insert, update, or delete before sending them to the writer using the fme_db_operation attribute. We have an article currently under construction that walks through how this would work. I'm attaching a PDF copy and sample workspace for it in case it is of use to you: updateagol.zip

It should definitely be possible to update, insert, and delete records in an existing feature service using the ArcGIS Online writer in FME. To do all three with one writer, you would have to tag each feature as an insert, update, or delete before sending them to the writer using the fme_db_operation attribute. We have an article currently under construction that walks through how this would work. I'm attaching a PDF copy and sample workspace for it in case it is of use to you: updateagol.zip

Quick update: This is the link to the actual article: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/19302/how-do-i-write-updates-to-an-existing-arcgis-onlin.html

Hi guys, im using FME 2015, im using someone else's workbench to update an AGOL feature service. This feature service is set as editable since it is used for Collector for ArcGIS. It is shared with a group. Feature service is inside a folder in my AGOL account items. When I run the workbench, I get an error:

"ArcGIS Online Feature Service Writer: Feature Service 'XXXX' does not support writer mode 'INSERT'."

So I was just wondering why the writer fails to do its job.

Thanks for the help.

Hi @chrisp

I searched for this error message in our developer database and found two instances of it. The first was fixed in FME 2015.1 (build 15422 or greater) the second will be fixed in 2016.1

The first one is where you are trying to edit attributes and geometry editing is disallowed (wasn't allowed but should have been). The second is where the service is not editable but you have edit permissions (again, we didn't allow it, but we should have).

If you think either of those might be at fault (I'm not sure I do) then an upgrade to one of those versions might help. Otherwise, my advice is to contact our support team directly (safe.com/support) or your local reseller support team, both of whom will likely have someone more experienced than I am in AGOL.

Regards

Mark

Mark Ireland

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc.

This example is awesome @LauraAtSafe. I have been struggling this updating
AGOL and other Geodatabases.

It is so easy and it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for me.

@LauraAtSafe, do you know if the ESRI Portal Feature service writer would work in this manner already? I'm trying to insert new records to a new feature service but I always get an authentication error. Our Portal has Integrated Windows Authentication configured so that users do not have to sign in on Portal.

@LauraAtSafe, do you know if the ESRI Portal Feature service writer would work in this manner already? I'm trying to insert new records to a new feature service but I always get an authentication error. Our Portal has Integrated Windows Authentication configured so that users do not have to sign in on Portal.

@salvaleonrp Yes, I believe that this should work in the same way when writing to Portal. It looks like we added support for IWA when connecting to Portal to FME 2016.1. Are you working with a recent 2016.1 beta? If you are, and still seeing authentication errors, I'd recommend submitting a support case with us and we can help you troubleshoot this further.

@salvaleonrp Yes, I believe that this should work in the same way when writing to Portal. It looks like we added support for IWA when connecting to Portal to FME 2016.1. Are you working with a recent 2016.1 beta? If you are, and still seeing authentication errors, I'd recommend submitting a support case with us and we can help you troubleshoot this further.

Just to close the loop after one year - yes, writing to a new feature with IWA authentication was fixed in FME 2016.1.

I believe inserting complex objects with may vertices may cause the web request to be truncated due to too many chars. Possibly causing an incomplete object/invalid request. Try generalizing or limiting features per request parameter on the writer. That worked in my case anyway.