Skip to main content

We have a workspace scheduled multiple times per day, from 6 AM till 6 PM every two hours. This workspace reads information from a SharePoint site (on-prem) using the SharePoint Reader.

All schedules are running OK, apart from the first one at 6 AM. We get the following error every day:

2020-03-11 06:00:54|   1.0|  0.0|ERROR |Python Exception <ReadTimeout>: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='xx.xx.com', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=20)

We did some checks on the FME and SharePoint side on the machine, but did not see anything that could cause the timeout. What could cause this?

In addition: the timeout setting appears to be fixed at 20 seconds. Is there any way to modify that?

FME Server 2019.0.1 Build 19253 - win64 - patch 1
FME Desktop 2019.0.1.0 Build 19253 - WIN32

Hi @g_karssenberg,

I'm sorry that you ran into a read timeout error that causes the translation to fail when using the SharePoint Reader. This is a known issue that has been resolved in FME 2020 by extending the read timeout to 90 seconds.

Unfortunately there is no workaround, you can download the latest version of FME from safe.com/downloads.

During testing the error did appear to be periodic, happening on the first call made out to the Server after a long time, therefore if you are unable to upgrade you could try and workaround this by creating a dummy workspace that attempts to connect to SharePoint and is set to runs prior to your 6am schedule,

Hi @g_karssenberg,

I'm sorry that you ran into a read timeout error that causes the translation to fail when using the SharePoint Reader. This is a known issue that has been resolved in FME 2020 by extending the read timeout to 90 seconds.

Unfortunately there is no workaround, you can download the latest version of FME from safe.com/downloads.

During testing the error did appear to be periodic, happening on the first call made out to the Server after a long time, therefore if you are unable to upgrade you could try and workaround this by creating a dummy workspace that attempts to connect to SharePoint and is set to runs prior to your 6am schedule,

I created a dummy workspace that runs five minutes before the main workspace. This helps but unfortunately not all times. We will use this approach until we upgrade to 2020. Thanks.

This also appears to be an issue with the SharepointOnlineConnector (in FME 2019.2) which is hard-coded to a 20s read timeout. It would be great if the read timeout could be exposed as a user parameter for the transformer.

This also appears to be an issue with the SharepointOnlineConnector (in FME 2019.2) which is hard-coded to a 20s read timeout. It would be great if the read timeout could be exposed as a user parameter for the transformer.

Hi @nic_ran​ ,

I've spoken with our developer and the SharepointOnlineConnector was also included in the fix for FME 2020 so you shouldn't hit a read timeout when you run your workspaces that contain this transformer in a newer version.

Please could you file an idea to expose this as a parameter option within the transformer?

Idea submitted:

https://community.safe.com/s/idea/0874Q000000j0KwQAI/detail