Skip to main content

Hi,

I have 3D aggregates which I'd like to write to STL-format. Just before the wroter everything look fine but after it a part of all my buildings area swollowed by the terrain. It looks like a bug in the writer. I attached the 3D data in a FFS file.

Before (ffs-file):

imageAfter (STL files):

Thank you,

Arno

interesting, which version of FME are you working with. I wasn't able to reproduce it with FME 2022.2.5. My output looks fine I think

interesting, which version of FME are you working with. I wasn't able to reproduce it with FME 2022.2.5. My output looks fine I think

Oh, i'm using 2021.2 and also tried 2023.0. Same result. I see you wrote it to one Feature type. I'd like to keep the original 4 feature types cause we would like to print it in 4 different colours.

Oh, i'm using 2021.2 and also tried 2023.0. Same result. I see you wrote it to one Feature type. I'd like to keep the original 4 feature types cause we would like to print it in 4 different colours.

ahhhh right - Yes there is a problem here because the STL writer will shift all negative numbers into the positive - In your case the bottom of the terrain is -1.5 meters so if gets shifted up.

From the Doc

The writer will offset geometries so that all coordinates are non-negative and non-zero. The minimum coordinate produced by the writer will be (1,1,1). Aside from this, this the writer will not do any validation to ensure that the geometry is valid for 3D printing, or within printer tolerances. The GeometryValidator transformer can be used to do some of this work.

To get around this you would need to move all your geometry up by the same amount. If you put an offsetter to all geometries to shift the data up but 2.5 meters (putting the new minz of the terrain at 1m) then everything should line up in the output STL.

Thank you!

This explains things.

I fixed it.