Skip to main content

Asking on behalf of a client: they're writing to Oracle and getting an error regarding an UTF-8 string that can't be converted to Windows-1252. I can't seem to find a way to set the encoding on the Oracle writer, is this handled in the database definition itself (i.e. outside of FME)?

"I can't seem to find a way to set the encoding on the Oracle writer, is this handled in the database definition itself (i.e. outside of FME)?"

Yes, it's set at the DB level.

You can use nvarchar columns if you want to put utf-8 strings into a DB set to windows-1252

Thanks!

Thanks!

Are they actually getting an error? I'd be interested if so, as in my experience the non allowed characters just get quietly converted to something else.

Are they actually getting an error? I'd be interested if so, as in my experience the non allowed characters just get quietly converted to something else.

They're actually getting an error and it's aborting the write operation. unnamedThis is all I have unfortunately, and I've had to edit out the actual string because it's a person's name (erring on the side of caution perhaps, better safe than sorry). Either way, I can't quite make out what that character is... The name appears to be Eastern European (Polish? Czech?)

Customer is in the process of migrating from FME 2017 to 2020, I assume that this error has nothing to do with that and it's just pure coincidence that they're running in to that character for the first time right now.

Interesting to know. I don't know whether it could be down to a database setting or something new in 2020. I've not played with Oracle databases and 2020 yet.