Skip to main content

I needed to change my geodatabase reader to the File Open API version and I have lost the ability to resolve subtype domains (attribute geodb_subtype_name). Is there a way to resolve the subtype names with the File Open API feature reader?

I'm afraid that is only possible with the reader that needs an ESRI license.

Have a look at this answer from a couple of weeks ago: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/72775/is-the-fgdb-open-api-reader-able-to-read-fgdb-doma.html

I typically use ArcMap over a Citrix connection which isn't installed on the same machine. Is there any process to make FME recognize I have a valid license? I cannot install ArcMap on my machine because I have legacy software that runs an older ArcGIS engine.

I typically use ArcMap over a Citrix connection which isn't installed on the same machine. Is there any process to make FME recognize I have a valid license? I cannot install ArcMap on my machine because I have legacy software that runs an older ArcGIS engine.

Unfortunately, you'd have to install FME on the same computer as ArcGIS. I'll also ask the team if there is any future hope to extract the domain codes somehow via the API. (I personally didn't imagine people would want the codes instead of the values).

If the codes aren't changing, you could set up an AttributeValueMapper from the code "names" to their values...assuming there is an easy way for you to get that mapping from somewhere.

I am only getting the "codes", not the code "names". I tried reading in the subtype field but that only has codes. Is there another way to read in the code "names"?

I am only getting the "codes", not the code "names". I tried reading in the subtype field but that only has codes. Is there another way to read in the code "names"?

@jayrussell, The behavior you saw sounds a bit strange. Would you be able to share a sample file Geodatabase that you are having this trouble with? It would help us investigate the issue.

@daleatsafe you should know by now that there will always be people that want to do something like having the codes in stead of the values!

I have just come up against this exact problem. A domain has been set up which is mainly to make data entry easier for the editor, rather than needing the values in the published data. I do have the option of switching to the ArcGIS Reader instead of the Open API one, but it takes longer to read the data and ties up a licence, even if only for a short time.

I've posted an idea for this...

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/94707/add-resolve-domains-option-to-file-geodatabase-fgd.html?