Skip to main content

I have a general question about the way FME is able to read data.

Right now I have data stored on a fileserver, which I want to read into FME directly.

What would happen if someone else is accessing this data, either directly or through another application, while I was reading the data into FME?

Would this cause an error in FME? Or could simultaneously reading the data from the fileserver, while someone else is accessing or probably editing this data in another apllication have a negative effect on the performance in the other application?

Now, I just copy the files from the fileserver each time I want to read them all. However, I'm trying to find out if this is really neccesary or if I can just load them directly without causing other problems.

If somebody else is reading at the same time I don't think it would be a problem, if they are also editing at the same time that might be an issue. Similarly if you're writing to a dataset and somebody else is reading it.

If somebody else is reading at the same time I don't think it would be a problem, if they are also editing at the same time that might be an issue. Similarly if you're writing to a dataset and somebody else is reading it.

Thank you for your response. And how does that work when reading directly from a database, when somebody is editing or accessing the data through an application? Would that also result in possible errors?

Thank you for your response. And how does that work when reading directly from a database, when somebody is editing or accessing the data through an application? Would that also result in possible errors?

In that case the database is handling the transactions, you wouldn't get any errors but you might get data that's partly old, partly new.

In that case the database is handling the transactions, you wouldn't get any errors but you might get data that's partly old, partly new.

Thank you..!