Skip to main content
Question

Read Embedded OLE Object from DGN

• 18 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Using FME Form 2024.0 and DGN v8

Hello All,

I have a DGN file with an OLE Embedded Excel Object. I am able to locate the element that represents the OLE object and can return all the typical IGDS information about the element itself, size, layer, model its in etc. What I would really like to do is investigate tabs, rows and columns content within that embedded Excel. 

Does anyone know if there is a way for FME to read an embedded Excel object from a DGN  file? 

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +32

I’m guessing there is not path to the OLE? If you have the file path to the excel file then you can use a FeatureReader to read it in the middle of the workflow.

I think typically FME would only read the metadata of these OLE objects (although I’m no DGN expert). It would be up to you to make use of the metadata I would guess.

There is documentation about it here, https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME-Form-Documentation/FME-ReadersWriters/igds/External_Reference_Files.htm

But I’m not 100% sure if that’s the same thing that you’re talking about. 

Badge +3

Thanks for the reply Matt, much appreciated.

You are correct no path exists, which swayed me from trying XREF options. However I did  have some of the same thoughts as you about trying to leverage Feature Reader to no avail.

I did try igds_linkage but also only got to the meta data level much like element and level options.

Unfortunately I think I have exhausted my options for utilizing FME to solve this problem. Which doesn’t happen often