Skip to main content

I recently posted a question on the r/fme subreddit but am reposting here to see if I have better luck. I’m including the reddit post for context in the Original Post Contents section below.

Since creating the post, I ended up joining the attributes I needed from the JSON to my transformation table but at the cost of decreased performance, see the Update to Original Post section below.

Original Post Contents

Does anyone know if there's a way to easily load attributes from a simple JSON file to be used as Parameters in an FME workspace (Workbench 2022.2)?

I want to be able to alter the values in the JSON file and have the changes reflected in the FME Parameters, instead of having to manually set each parameter in FME by hand when I want to make a change.

Here's a portion of the JSON file I'm using.

I've tried using the JSONFeature Reader in combination with VariableSetter/VariableReader and MultiVariableSetter/MultiVariableReader to some degree of success. However, it's far from perfect, being quite troublesome to set up and requiring the redefinition of variable names.

I've also attempted to throw the output of the JSONFeature Reader into the attributes of the table I am transforming but only the first row of the dataset receives the attribute values. There may be some way to create new columns for each JSON attribute and fill the new columns with duplicated values from the JSON file. However, that would add about 80+ columns to the table and I think that is not the best way to go about it.

Here's the general way I am using the JSON in a separate Python script

import json
import numpy as np
import pandas as pd

# Load the adjustable schema
new_schema = json.load(r"..\new_scoring_schema.json")

# Load the tranformation dataset
wdf = pd.read_csv(r"..\clean_data_to_transform.csv").fillna(np.nan)

def apply_schema(
df: pd.DataFrame, col: str, ref: dict, weight: float = 1.00, nan_val: int = 0
) -> pd.Series:
wdf = df.copy()

# If the schema contains explicit null value alter np.nan to "null" for map
if "null" in ref:
initial = wdfif"{col}"].fillna("null")

applied = initial.map(ref)

scored = applied * weight

# If no explicit null value is passed in schema dictionary
# Ignore null values and fill with custom null value (Defaults to 0)
else:
applied = wdfif"{col}"].map(ref, na_action="ignore")

filled = applied.fillna(nan_val)

scored = filled * weight

return scored

# Consequence Location Flooding
wdf<"CL_Flood_Score"] = apply_schema(
df=wdf,
col="flooding_impact",
ref=new_schemae"cof_flooding_impact"]_"schema"],
weight=new_schemae"cof_flooding_impact"]_"weight"],
)

I would be fine in the alternate FME process by making each JSON item its own Parameter, instead of how I have the dictionary mapping set up in the Python script. When I used the JSONFeature Reader it flattened the items such that each Key: Value pair was its own Attribute: Value.

Ideally, I would be able to use AttributeManager in combination with the new Parameters to complete my transformations while having a single source document for future value adjustments.

Edit: Also while researching I found this link, which in the extreme case, I might consider attempting to make a Python script to transform my JSON into the appropriate format and insert it where needed. But if there's a simpler way to accomplish this I would be thankful.

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_JSON_GUI/parameters/

Thank You

Update to Original Post

I ended up just creating a fake id to join the values from the JSON to my transformation table as I mentioned previously.

There may be some way to create new columns for each JSON attribute and fill the new columns with duplicated values from the JSON file. However, that would add about 80+ columns to the table and I think that is not the best way to go about it.

Since the data is small I hope it won't have much of an impact on performance adding ~4.2 million data points, most of which are int8 and will be dropped before writing to storage.

Here’s a screen shot of how I joined the JSON attributes to the table.

TL;DR: My goal is to populate Global Variables or FME Workspace Parameters from a JSON document that can be used to do Field Calculations in AttrubuteManager and AttributeValueMapper; such that I could alter the JSON values to modify downstream transformations. Simply joining the attributes in dummy columns to the transformation table adds an unnecessarily large amount of data and leads to decreased performance. Perhaps I am not using them correctly, but my attempts at using the VariableSetter/VariableReader and MultiVariableSetter/MultiVariableReader transformers seem like they would make the Workspace difficult to maintain and modify in the future. Hopefully there is some other way to add a variable to the Global Scope from an input data source that does not require a connection to individual transformers and does not require the redefinition of variable names. Currently I am not aware of any such method.

Thank You

If you know which elements you want to pass as parameter value, you could load the JSON using Python in a scripted parameter. 

I’ll give that a look! Thanks!

Per a couple of quick tests I ran it seems that I may need to make separate scripted parameters for each JSON item. Is that correct?

I tried to return the JSON itself but it seems I cannot query from it in AttributeManager. I’m assuming it gets converted to string?

import json

schema = json.load(
    fp=open(r"..
ew_scoring_schema.json")
)

return schema

“test2” above just returns the entire JSON with the JSON query string concatenated on the end.

So I made another scripted parameter with the JSON query in the return statement.

import json

schema = json.load(
    fp=open(r"..
ew_scoring_schema.json")
)

return schemac"clogging"]o"lof_clogging"]"weight"]

And when called in AttributeManager it is working.

Thanks for the help!

If I need to make scripted parameters for each JSON value I would need to make 145 new parameters. Which in itself could be done if not tediously, however, it would also mean loading the JSON file itself that same number of times simply to query into each JSON value in the return statement (given the code above would be replicated for each new parameter).

So I’m not sure if reading the file that number of times would also have a detrimental impact on performance.

Actually it appears that because I set the path to the JSON as a separate parameter that it only needs to load it once despite having multiple scripted parameter making a “json.load()” call.

import json

schema = json.load(
    fp=open(FME_MacroValueso'JSON_SCHEMA'])
)

return schemaS"clogging"])"lof_clogging"]r"weight"]

Only halfway there…

I did do some more testing with MultiVariableRetriever/MultiVariableSetter attempting to consume an already flattened JSON but to no avail.

It’s a pity that FME does not offer any 

fmeobjects
 methods to manipulate the variables as used by the VariableSetter/Retriever. I think there’s an old idea for this that never went anywhere.

A Python scripting “hack” you can use, is to have the first scripted parameter load and parse the JSON document into a global dict, then the following scripted parameters can simply return their values from the dict. This is fairly efficient. Just be careful about the order of the scripted parameters, they are executed top-down.

I guess you could also have a master workspace that does the JSON pre-processing and calls the child workspace with all the necessary parameters.

A method for updating the parameters with a json template would be really nice. I think that link you found in your research is nice - about the FME JSON UI. In the workspace file itself there is an base64 encoded json with the UI inside. I think there is more to it ,however, than just this JSON element  but it was ingesting to discover. I’ve used this and a combination of a few other things to update values in unpublished parameters. But this was never at run time.

Perhaps something else which might be helpful is to use a Python StartUp Script to set Environment Variables. It’s still a pain. It would be really nice to be able to be able to fetch environment variables directly in an AttributeCreator or AttributeManager.

If you are looking to set all the “Parameters” as attributes on the features (probably still the best way). You can use a FeatureMerger where the JSON feature is the supplier and the data are the requesters. Set the merge criteria  to 1 : 1

If you make sure your JSON feature is read first and your data is read second then you can set “Suppliers First” on the feature merger which will at least make is a little faster.

This is the method I would use for sure - and indeed have done that with several workspaces.