Skip to main content
I noticed today that the dwg writer asks for a file name in a folder (unlike other writers that simply ask for a folder).

How can I force FME to call the resulting dwg by  the "feature type name" that I define in the name parameters of the writer? It seems that when I do define a name here, it still reverts to calling the output whatever I chose when I was first forced to chose a folder and file name of the writer.

Hi,

have you tried using a Dataset Fanout (http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Workbench/Default.htm#Setting_Dataset_Fanout_Properties.htm)?

David
Featuretypename results in a autocadlayers in the dataset.

Datasetname would be the autocad file (dwg)

To do that u need ot use the Datasetfanout. Rightclick on the autocadwritername in the navigatorpane. Choose fanoutdataset...

set to yes, and fill out the parameters.

Thanks David, Gio.

What is the reasoning for this added bit of complexity?

In other words, why the inconsistency between writers?
There are two types of file-based data formats. 1) A file can contain only one feature type, e.g. SHP. 2) A file can contain multiple feature types (layers, tables ...), e.g. DWG.

Dataset conceptually is a data set of multiple feature types, so it will be: a folder for the 1st type; a file for the 2nd type.  I think there is no inconsistency 😉
takashi - indeed that explains the why! thanks