Skip to main content

I'm wondering how I can make a request with SSL using the ArcGIS Online Feature Service reader. No matter what I do, FME continnue sto try to access via HTTP instead of HTTPS.

I'm reading a features service hosted in ArcGIS Online into FME Workbench 2020 64 bit. Last week I was able to connect to a service using the Feature Service reader without issue. But our admin team converted the ESRI organization to require HTTPS only, which seems to coincide with the 403 error I'm receiving. I've remade the web connections, tried to reconfigure the feature service URL to use HTTPS, with no luck.

I receive this error

This may be a temporary server issue, or insufficient permissions. The error code from the server was '403' and the message was: 'SSL Required'

Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'ARCGISONLINEFEATURES' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information

Log says

ArcGIS Online Feature Service Reader: Could not access Feature Service at 'http://services.arcgis.com/XXXXX/arcgis/rest/services/XXXXXXX/FeatureServer'. This may be a temporary server issue, or insufficient permissions. The error code from the server was '403' and the message was: 'Request not made over ssl'

Have you tried recreating the reader? If that doesn't work, perhaps also try recreating the web connection.

Have you tried recreating the reader? If that doesn't work, perhaps also try recreating the web connection.

Hi David, I did try recreating the reader and the web connection and receive the same error.

I don't understand why this would force HTTP instead of HTTPS. I'm unable to specify the parameter to explicitly put HTTPS in the URL.

I don't understand why this would force HTTP instead of HTTPS. I'm unable to specify the parameter to explicitly put HTTPS in the URL.

I also find it unexpected. You may want to contact Safe support for this one.

I generated a ticket and SAFE staff spent a few hours troubleshooting with me. Thank you Safe team!

We found that this is a bug in FME 2020.1.3 and recommended to upgrade to 2020.2.1. After updating the SAFE folks recommended to open the workbench file in the new version (2020.2.1) and right click the reader in the navigator pane, and choose 'Update Reader...'. After reconfiguring the parameters I was able to connect to all ArcGIS online services without issue. So the solution is to ensure that you are using 2020.2.1 and simply update the reader. This should solve the problem whether the bug in 2020.1.3 is fixed or not.