Skip to main content

Hi all,

I've city buildings in .gml formats.And also i have aerial images of city.I would like to texturizing buildings from aerial images.So, i want to use texture coordinates of images.How can i describe and correspond texture coordinates and my buildings?

Hi @candemiroguz,

If the images are orthorectified and georeferenced, you can set the AppearanceSetter transformer's Texture Coordinate Generation Parameters - Texture Mapping Type to Top Down Georeferenced. This will automatically create the texture coordinates to locate the images correctly on the buildings.

This works best on horizontal surface (ground, roofs). For the vertical wall surfaces, it might be best to use stock building textures. You can control the texture size by setting the Texture Mapping Type to Surface Normal in Ground Units.

For more detailed information please see the AppearanceSetter documentation.

Hi @candemiroguz,

If the images are orthorectified and georeferenced, you can set the AppearanceSetter transformer's Texture Coordinate Generation Parameters - Texture Mapping Type to Top Down Georeferenced. This will automatically create the texture coordinates to locate the images correctly on the buildings.

This works best on horizontal surface (ground, roofs). For the vertical wall surfaces, it might be best to use stock building textures. You can control the texture size by setting the Texture Mapping Type to Surface Normal in Ground Units.

For more detailed information please see the AppearanceSetter documentation.

Thanks your comment @daveatsafe. I also have oblique aerial images.So, can i texture for vertical wall surfaces from oblique images ?

Thanks your comment @daveatsafe. I also have oblique aerial images.So, can i texture for vertical wall surfaces from oblique images ?

Hi @candemiroguz,

Not easily. Your best route would be to convert the .gml to Sketchup in FME, then use Sketchup to apply the textures. Store the gml_id of the feature in the sketchup_layer_name trait with a GeometryPropertySetter, so you can use FME to merge the textured geometry back into the .gml file later by joining on that id.