Skip to main content

I've installed the Google BigQuery package into 2020.1 and I've got a web connection to a BigQuery project. The connection seems to work since I can see the dataset and tables listed. I am sending a simple SQL 'SELECT * FROM...' and I've tried 'SELECT col1, col2 FROM ...' I want the query to return records from a non-spatial BigQuery table to use in FME. I don't get any results and the log doesn't seem to give anything helpful. We've opened all the permissions on the account. Does anyone have any advice on how to get this to work?

Hi @grasmith,

Does the translation run successful or do you see any errors in the log file?

Also, can you confirm that the query ran successfully? You can check the Query History in the Google BigQuery UI.

Hi @grasmith,

Did you specify the attributes you want to expose to the transformer? All columns specified in the query will be returned after the query ran, but currently, you still need to "expose" them in the exposed attributes parameter if you want to use them in subsequent transformers or see them in the preview or Inspector as a table. See my screenshot using the default example query and exposing the to columns name & gender.

I hope this helps!

Hi @grasmith,

Does the translation run successful or do you see any errors in the log file?

Also, can you confirm that the query ran successfully? You can check the Query History in the Google BigQuery UI.

Log says its successful and I don't see any errors. Features read = 0. I can run the SQL query fine on the BigQuery Console. I've also entered the fields for the exposed attributes.

Log says its successful and I don't see any errors. Features read = 0. I can run the SQL query fine on the BigQuery Console. I've also entered the fields for the exposed attributes.

The Features Read = 0 is expected because this is technically not a Reader, but a Transformer to send queries to BigQuery.

Are there any features returned at all (did you attach loggers)?

If possible can you try the default query (it's using a public dataset) in the transformer to see if this query runs successfully (similar to my screenshot)?

If this doesn't work either please file a report with our Support Team and share the entire log file of your translation with them. Then we'll take a closer look at this.

https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi @grasmith,

Did you specify the attributes you want to expose to the transformer? All columns specified in the query will be returned after the query ran, but currently, you still need to "expose" them in the exposed attributes parameter if you want to use them in subsequent transformers or see them in the preview or Inspector as a table. See my screenshot using the default example query and exposing the to columns name & gender.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the graphic, my problem was I was passing an empty table to the input port, I changed it to Creator and it worked. Your graphic was the key! Thanks much!

Thanks for the graphic, my problem was I was passing an empty table to the input port, I changed it to Creator and it worked. Your graphic was the key! Thanks much!

Awesome! Thanks for the update!