Skip to main content

After updating to FME 2019.1, I've found that the GoogleGeocoder transformer no longer works. I've been attempting to use the Geocoder transformer, but it seems that a lot of the attributes that were returned with the GoogleGeocoder are no longer returned with the Geocoder. This is causing issues with existing workbenches that rely on those attributes.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a workaround for the Geocoder transformer to have it return all of the original fields, or has anyone been able to fix the GoogleGeocoder to work with FME 2019.1? It was suggested to use regrex to parse the individual fields, however since addresses aren't standardized it wouldn't be feasible to do so.

Hello @david.bowen,

I have installed in my machine the FME 2019.1 and I tested with sucess the transformer Geocoder.

This result showed this attribute value - lat and long:

Thanks in Advance,

Danilo

Thanks but unfortunately I was hoping to get attributes such as g_street_num, g_street_name, etc. that aren't included with the newer version.

@david.bowen GoogleGeocoder was deprecated and incorporated into Geocoder in FME 2017. I believe this was done at the same time as the Google Geocoder API changed. The detailed address strings that were available in GoogleGeocoder were lost when this change was made. This is because Geocoder supports multiple geocoder APIs and finding a way to output the separate fields each different API returns was not possible.

We plan to update the Geocoder so that it returns the original JSON response from the selected API. Users will then be able to pickout the attributes they need form the JSON. The 'generic' address will still be returned as the _address attribute.

@david.bowen GoogleGeocoder was deprecated and incorporated into Geocoder in FME 2017. I believe this was done at the same time as the Google Geocoder API changed. The detailed address strings that were available in GoogleGeocoder were lost when this change was made. This is because Geocoder supports multiple geocoder APIs and finding a way to output the separate fields each different API returns was not possible.

We plan to update the Geocoder so that it returns the original JSON response from the selected API. Users will then be able to pickout the attributes they need form the JSON. The 'generic' address will still be returned as the _address attribute.

Thanks for letting me know about the upcoming changes. Looking forwards to it

@markatsafe do you know if there's been an update to the Geocoder transformer that allows the original JSON response from Google to be returned?

@markatsafe do you know if there's been an update to the Geocoder transformer that allows the original JSON response from Google to be returned?

@david.bowen Sorry - we haven't made any changes to the Geocoder yet.