Skip to main content

I am using an eval version of FME Workbench 2016. Threw the following error message when I have more than 2 Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb API) readers in my workspace. Anybody had the same issue?

FME API version of module 'FILEGDB' matches current internal version (3.8 20160224)

Error running translation.

Is it 64 bit or 32 bit version of FME? Try the 32bit version. I'm finding compatibility issues with the 64bit version of FME and ARCGIS 10.2

Hello @ehughes

1. Which build version of FME are you using? This can be found under Help > About FME Workbench.

2. Can you confirm that you are using the File Geodb API reader/writer format? I don't believe you should see compatibility issues with ArcGIS, as the API format requires no external software/licenses.

3. What kind of issues are you experiencing with FME and 32bit vs 64bit?

If you have any log files, would you mind attaching them please?

Hello @ehughes

1. Which build version of FME 2016 are you using? This can be found under Help > About FME Workbench.

2. Do you see this behaviour in 32bit or 64-bit FME?

3. Are you accessing the same geodatabase and table with the two different readers?

As it appears you are able to successfully add the readers, and it just errors out on the translation run. Is that correct? If so, would you mind attaching your log file please?

Is it 64 bit or 32 bit version of FME? Try the 32bit version. I'm finding compatibility issues with the 64bit version of FME and ARCGIS 10.2

Hi @ehughes, have you installed Background Geoprocessing? This allows the 64-bit FME to play nicely with 32-bit ArcGIS. The API version of the File Geodatabase format should work regardless of bit-version.

Notes of FME & Esri Compatibility

Errors with 64bit FME and Background Geoprocessing

Hi Trent and Tia,

I’ve attached two log files(txt) for your reference, 64bit and 32bit(The 32bit runs without error)

logfile-roadcentreline-fme2016-32.txt

logfile-roadcentreline-fme2016-64.txt

1) I’mcurrently running 2016.1.0.1 (20160516-Build16494 – WIN32) and WIN64

Also 2017.1.0.0 (20170731 – Build 17539 –WIN32) and

2017.01.1 (20170512 – Build 17291 – WIN64)

2) Importing Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb ArcObjects)reader’s and writing to Geodb Arc Objects

3) The FME script 64bit hangs on either the 2016 or2017 copy when attempting to the Open Geodatabase reader

I've attached a doc hatgives the log errors across the 4different copies.

errorlogsummary-fme2016-n-2017.txt

Thanks very much @trentatsafe and@TiaAtSafe

Hi Trent and Tia,

I’ve attached two log files(txt) for your reference, 64bit and 32bit(The 32bit runs without error)

logfile-roadcentreline-fme2016-32.txt

logfile-roadcentreline-fme2016-64.txt

1) I’mcurrently running 2016.1.0.1 (20160516-Build16494 – WIN32) and WIN64

Also 2017.1.0.0 (20170731 – Build 17539 –WIN32) and

2017.01.1 (20170512 – Build 17291 – WIN64)

2) Importing Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb ArcObjects)reader’s and writing to Geodb Arc Objects

3) The FME script 64bit hangs on either the 2016 or2017 copy when attempting to the Open Geodatabase reader

I've attached a doc hatgives the log errors across the 4different copies.

errorlogsummary-fme2016-n-2017.txt

Thanks very much @trentatsafe and@TiaAtSafe

Hello @ehughes,

Are you able to outline which Esri products you have installed and licensed? Judging by the 32-bit FME working, and 64-bit producing an error. I would guess that there is no 64-bit version of ArcGIS that can be used. As @TiaAtSafe mentioned, 64-bit Background Geoprocessing is generally the simplest method if ArcGIS Desktop is already installed on the machine.

Suitable Esri products that can be used for FME 64-bit can be found here:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1517/notes-on-fme-and-esri-versions-and-compatibility.html

In short, you would need either ArcGIS Desktop(w/ 64-bit Background Geoprocessing), ArcGIS Server, or ArcGIS Pro. One of these installed and licensed should allow FME 64-bit to work correctly using the Esri File Geodb format.

Alternatively, if you use the File Geodb API format, you do not need a 64-bit component for Esri to access File and ArcSDE geodatabases. This format will work for File geodatabases but has reduced functionality when compared to the Esri File Geodb format.

Hi Trent,

Apologies i have ArcGIS Desktop 64 bit geo-processing enabled.  Version of ArcGIS attached below.

When i open in FME 2017 the following text appear in the log.

Workbench: Workspace integrity check during load found one or more readers/writers with configuration issues.
Workbench: Backed up current workspace as: C:\Users\ehughes\Desktop\Features\DFES_RoadCentreLines_21082017_64 (backup).fmw

Workbench: Fixed reader/writer configuration issues.

Thanks,

ehughes

0684Q00000ArKj1QAF.png

Hi Trent,

Apologies i have ArcGIS Desktop 64 bit geo-processing enabled.  Version of ArcGIS attached below.

When i open in FME 2017 the following text appear in the log.

Workbench: Workspace integrity check during load found one or more readers/writers with configuration issues.
Workbench: Backed up current workspace as: C:\Users\ehughes\Desktop\Features\DFES_RoadCentreLines_21082017_64 (backup).fmw

Workbench: Fixed reader/writer configuration issues.

Thanks,

ehughes

0684Q00000ArKj1QAF.png

Hello @ehughes

The message you are seeing at the start of your log file is expected. These messages have to do with a fix that was previously implemented that resolved errors occurring as a result of copying and pasting readers/datasets between workspaces. As such, while those log messages may be alarming, they should be nothing to worry about.

The workspace should still run correctly. Are you still having your workspace hang issue with 64-bit FME when connecting to the geodatabase? If so, do you mind trying the following article, it will confirm that Background Geoprocessing is working correctly. https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/41500/errors-with-fme-64-bit-after-upgrading-arcgis.html

If the above process causes an error, try re-installing background geoprocessing. If it does not error but you are still seeing a hang in the workspace, please let me know.

Hello @ehughes

The message you are seeing at the start of your log file is expected. These messages have to do with a fix that was previously implemented that resolved errors occurring as a result of copying and pasting readers/datasets between workspaces. As such, while those log messages may be alarming, they should be nothing to worry about.

The workspace should still run correctly. Are you still having your workspace hang issue with 64-bit FME when connecting to the geodatabase? If so, do you mind trying the following article, it will confirm that Background Geoprocessing is working correctly. https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/41500/errors-with-fme-64-bit-after-upgrading-arcgis.html

If the above process causes an error, try re-installing background geoprocessing. If it does not error but you are still seeing a hang in the workspace, please let me know.

Hi Trent,

Tia and
yourself called it.

As
suggest i removed and reintstalled the 64bit Background Geoprocessing. The
FME 2016 64 script worked with a slight error of the Data Inspector hanging.
On rerun the FME script hangs with no result. It try’s without success to open the
Geodatabase reader.

Currently
my fix is to reboot my machine and remove the FMEDataInspector Folder stored in
the Local Temp directory.

Thanks,

ehughes