Skip to main content

A quite a few ffs files of ours will not open any longer. I only noticed this a week or two ago. Is this a common issue? And is it possible to salvage them?

Here is one example:

I tried och open them with several versions of FME and the latest was with 2018.1

I was able to open it with FME build 18528 in 64 bit (in the data inspector) no problem. I haven't tested with the latest release though.

I tried it and although I couldn't read it in 2016, it was fine in 2017, 2018, 2018.1, and even 2019. What sort of problem occurs on your machine? Does it crash or report an error? Or is there just no content? When I tried in 2016 the log window in the Data Inspector reported:

The FFS header size/version is invalid for the file `C:\\Users\\imark\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\22313-tile-57728.zip_1540482035861_148272\\tile_57728.ffs'. Cannot recognize the FFS file header. This may be an FFS version that this FME does not yet support. Please upgrade to a newer version of the FME. Visit www.safe.com

Do you get a similar message?

I tried it and although I couldn't read it in 2016, it was fine in 2017, 2018, 2018.1, and even 2019. What sort of problem occurs on your machine? Does it crash or report an error? Or is there just no content? When I tried in 2016 the log window in the Data Inspector reported:

The FFS header size/version is invalid for the file `C:\\Users\\imark\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\22313-tile-57728.zip_1540482035861_148272\\tile_57728.ffs'. Cannot recognize the FFS file header. This may be an FFS version that this FME does not yet support. Please upgrade to a newer version of the FME. Visit www.safe.com

Do you get a similar message?

Thank you both for testing the files! Inspired by your success. I tried different approaches like deleting all the temp files, all search index files, which had no effect. But after moving the files to a different directory on the same harddrive the problem seems to have been resolved for all but one file.

Previous to the move the only message was this in the workbench (the inspector crashed on opening):

The one file that I have found that still will not open gives a slightly different error message:

This excplicitly states that the file is corrupted, which makes me think that it might be a regular corruption from hardware/filesystem issues. Unlucky that the backup seems to have updated to the corrupted file version.