Skip to main content

conversion log:

OBJ Reader: Token Unsupported: 'Ni' - Ignored

OBJ Reader: continue reading with next good feature

OBJ Reader: Token Unsupported: 'illum' - Ignored

Failed to read texture: 'C:\\test\\collada_data\\Sedan_W3_Destroyed\\sedan\\sedan_metro_orng_pan_burn_w3_d.tga'

Failed to read texture: 'C:\\test\\collada_data\\Sedan_W3_Destroyed\\sedan\\sedan_bottom_w3_burn_d.tga'

Failed to read texture: 'C:\\test\\collada_data\\Sedan_W3_Destroyed\\sedan\\sedan_w3_decals_d.tga'

Failed to read texture: 'C:\\test\\collada_data\\Sedan_W3_Destroyed\\sedan\\sedan_glass_destroyed_d.tga'

Failed to read texture: 'C:\\test\\collada_data\\Sedan_W3_Destroyed\\sedan\\sedan_interior_w3_burn_d.tga'

i'm converting this obj file.What could be the reason for these errors.

Hi! These aren't errors. It's exactly what the messages say: the FME OBJ Reader does not support certain material/shader properties, like illum(ination) for example. The reason for this, is that FME's appearance model only supports a limited set of properties as well.

Furthermore, FME cannot read Targa (*.tga) images, so if your model contains these textures, you should replace them for another image format that FME does support, like TIFF, JPG, PNG etc. Fortunately, for OBJ, this is quite easy to achieve, since you can save the textures to another format (e.g. with IrfanView) and change the extensions in the *.mtl file using a text editor.

By the way, I have mentioned this idea once, which would help reading all properties and textures that aren't supported by FME (so you can still convert them using a PythonCaller for instance).

Sander

Hi! These aren't errors. It's exactly what the messages say: the FME OBJ Reader does not support certain material/shader properties, like illum(ination) for example. The reason for this, is that FME's appearance model only supports a limited set of properties as well.

Furthermore, FME cannot read Targa (*.tga) images, so if your model contains these textures, you should replace them for another image format that FME does support, like TIFF, JPG, PNG etc. Fortunately, for OBJ, this is quite easy to achieve, since you can save the textures to another format (e.g. with IrfanView) and change the extensions in the *.mtl file using a text editor.

By the way, I have mentioned this idea once, which would help reading all properties and textures that aren't supported by FME (so you can still convert them using a PythonCaller for instance).

Sander

Does fme support these formats in future updates.

Does fme support these formats in future updates.

I don't know... I don't work for Safe...

You could post an idea yourself (you'd have my vote!) for a Targa Reader (and optionally Writer). If enough people need it as well, Safe will most likely add support for it in the future.