Skip to main content

I am trying to read metadata from feature classes in an SDE but am consistently getting an error. I add a reader (format "Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb)", point it at one table (interactively selected in the Table List field), set the Feature Read Mode to "Metadata", and then click Ok, and then comes the error (The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216072'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Underlying DBMS error}).

My overall goal is to read a feature class's metadata, update it to show when the feature class was updated, and then write the new metadata to the feature class. I am able to create and update tables in this SDE using FME so I don't think it's a permissions issue. I've tried various settings in the reader but cannot get past that error. Has anybody ever encountered this?

The full log file:

Starting translation...

FME 2018.1.0.1 (20180730 - Build 18528 - WIN32)

FME Desktop ESRI Edition (floating)

Permanent License.

Machine host name is: IS61352

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 15063)

Copyright (c) 1994 - 2018, Safe Software Inc.

Safe Software Inc.

Creating reader for format: Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb)

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `GEODATABASE_SDE'

Loaded module 'GEODATABASE_SDE' from file 'C:\\apps\\FME\\GEODATABASE9.dll'

FME API version of module 'GEODATABASE_SDE' matches current internal version (3.8 20180604)

Opening the Geodatabase reader

The ArcObjects license 'Advanced' is being selected from the Windows registry

FME has checked out an Esri license. The product checked out is 'Advanced'

Installed ArcGIS version is '10.5'

Connection made to server 'swdvarcgissql01.corporate.smud.org' for dataset 'esriopsgis' (transactional version 'dbo.DEFAULT') using Operating System's current user

ArcSDE release: '10.0'. Underlying database: 'SQL Server'

An error occurred while attempting to open the table, feature class or relationship class 'CORPORATE\\MMARLAT.Anchor_n'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216072'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Underlying DBMS error}

Closing the Geodatabase reader

Merged 0 schema features read from 1 datasets into 0 resulting feature types

Opened mapping File C:\\Users\\MMarlat\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\FME_1571336107204_8932.fmw for output

Mapping File Generation was SUCCESSFUL

FME Session Duration: 3.4 seconds. (CPU: 1.1s user, 1.1s system)

END - ProcessID: 8360, peak process memory usage: 160776 kB, current process memory usage: 156824 kB

Mapping File Generation was SUCCESSFUL

I have seen something similar when the table contains a BLOB attribute.

Could that be the case?

I have seen something similar when the table contains a BLOB attribute.

Could that be the case?

Maybe that's how the geometry is stored? I do not have access to the underlying SQL Server database and I do not expect to get it.

Are you able to read the features themselves? Is it just the metadata that's the issue?

Are you able to read the features themselves? Is it just the metadata that's the issue?

Good question! I haven't tried until now; the purpose of this workbench is to read from an oracle database and write to an SDE.

No, I am not able to read features either. I created the feature class I'm dealing with and just in case I opened up the permissions to everybody but it doesn't make a difference. Maybe it's something at the database level?