Skip to main content

I'm trying to convert a raster (orthophoto) in to a geotiff, using jpeg compression method and enabling the BigTIFF advanced option. However I'm unable to successfully run the conversion with both options selected. Is there a reason why I'm unable to convert my orthophoto to a geotiff using both jpeg compression and BigTIFF at the same time?

Hi @em9

Could you share us your Workspace template ( FMWT ) and / or Log File to investigate better your case?

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi @em9,

Unfortunately, the GeoTIFF writer does not currently allow writing BigTIFF's with JPEG compression as it will flag the following error: 

GEOTIFF writer: Failed to apply JPEG compression and BigTIFF at the same time. Â Please use other compression methods or disable the BigTIFF option

However, it looks like another user has suggested that this support be added for this. Would you mind upvoting the JPEG compressed Geotiffs with Bigtiffs suggestion on the ideas page? 

I have linked the idea that is mentioned above to an enhancement report in our tracking system. We will provide updates on the Ideas page as soon as they are available for the GeoTIFF Writer enhancement request. Alternatively, if you would also like to be notified by email, please submit a case so that you can be linked to the enhancement request: FMEENGINE-37289

Hi @em9,

Unfortunately, the GeoTIFF writer does not currently allow writing BigTIFF's with JPEG compression as it will flag the following error: 

GEOTIFF writer: Failed to apply JPEG compression and BigTIFF at the same time. Â Please use other compression methods or disable the BigTIFF option

However, it looks like another user has suggested that this support be added for this. Would you mind upvoting the JPEG compressed Geotiffs with Bigtiffs suggestion on the ideas page? 

I have linked the idea that is mentioned above to an enhancement report in our tracking system. We will provide updates on the Ideas page as soon as they are available for the GeoTIFF Writer enhancement request. Alternatively, if you would also like to be notified by email, please submit a case so that you can be linked to the enhancement request: FMEENGINE-37289

Thanks for your help @ChrisAtSafe

Hi @em9,

Hi @ChrisAtSafe

What compression type would you recommend using with BigTiff? The orthophoto is very large and resampled to 0.1 cell spacing.

Hi @ChrisAtSafe

What compression type would you recommend using with BigTiff? The orthophoto is very large and resampled to 0.1 cell spacing.

Hi @em9,

All of the remaining compression types (lzw, pack-bits, etc.) are lossless compression; however, there are differences between them. I would recommend taking a look at The Differences Between the Compression Types Used in TIFF Files article to help you determine which compression type is best for your desired output.

I hope this information helps.