Skip to main content

I'm trying to write a large Geodatabase into TAB format for a client.

I can see a direct read and write but it doesn't hold attributes.

There doesn't seem to be many parameters on the Mapinfo writer and weirdly hardly any info online. It seems a lot of info on conversions FROM Mapinfo but not the other way around.

Data is confidential so I can't share it, but it's pretty basic bunch of feature classes.

Hi @kimburrows1242

Have you tried the Generate workspace?

There are multiple Readers - try all of them and then see if the FME Data Inspector shows your attributes.

If attributes are shown. Make sure you set DYNAMIC SCHEMA when using Generate workspace.

Hi @kimburrows1242

There are multiple Readers - try all of them and then see if the FME Data Inspector shows your attributes.

If attributes are shown. Make sure you set DYNAMIC SCHEMA when using Generate workspace.

Hi, thanks but again this is converting FROM Mapinfo, I need to convert *to* Mapinfo. Unless I missed something?

Hi, thanks but again this is converting FROM Mapinfo, I need to convert *to* Mapinfo. Unless I missed something?

You just do exactly the same but selecting the gdb for the reader and mapinfo for the writer

Hi @kimburrows1242

I understand, but usually a straight read/write has different constraints based on what you're reading/writing, so usually it's not a case of just swapping them around. I've tried all the writes and I can't view the data, I get this error "

MAPINFO Reader: "Invalid or non-existent dataset. Failed to specify the feature index as constraints on the reader"

To stress I'm not using a Mapinfo Reader, I generated a workspace as above.

Hi @kimburrows1242

These are the errors I'm getting even though I changed it to a string. And when I try to view it see image 2.

Capture.JPG

These are the errors I'm getting even though I changed it to a string. And when I try to view it see image 2.

Capture.JPG

And there's definitely no Mapinfo Readers in the navigator on the left hand side that aren't on the canvas?

The DateTimeConverter can be used to sort the date fields, but these are only warnings, they're not causing the failure

And there's definitely no Mapinfo Readers in the navigator on the left hand side that aren't on the canvas?

The DateTimeConverter can be used to sort the date fields, but these are only warnings, they're not causing the failure

No, it's a brand new workspace, I've no idea why it's coming up with this error. It does it on all the writers, I just want to check if the attributes held in the data. 

Ah, the issue is you're trying to use the View Written Data button - you can't do this as it's a dynamic writer. You need to click the open containing folder button to the left of that one, where you should find a tab file for each featureclass. You should then be able to right click on each one and choose view in inspector

Ah, the issue is you're trying to use the View Written Data button - you can't do this as it's a dynamic writer. You need to click the open containing folder button to the left of that one, where you should find a tab file for each featureclass. You should then be able to right click on each one and choose view in inspector

Thanks, I then got this error

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Failed to specify the feature index as constraints on the reader

Thanks, I then got this error

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Failed to specify the feature index as constraints on the reader

And you're getting this when you do this on the .tab file?

Ah, okay this is working. Thank you.

The only thing is I need to ensure it is bringing through those dates on the that column. I added the 'Attribute Validator' for that reason, and yet its still not processing them, any ideas why that doesn't work?

Ah, okay this is working. Thank you.

The only thing is I need to ensure it is bringing through those dates on the that column. I added the 'Attribute Validator' for that reason, and yet its still not processing them, any ideas why that doesn't work?

Looking at the error message I would try a date time converter to convert from FME date to FME date/time

Looking at the error message I would try a date time converter to convert from FME date to FME date/time

Seems to still have the warnings, but the output looks much better. Thanks for your help