Solved

Cant access SDE features that are in a 'FeatureDataset' after upgrade to 2023 FME

• 19 November 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge +3

Hello, we have a bunch of workspaces reading in from an SDE, all is fine in 2022 FME but after the upgrade to 2023 we can no longer read features that sit inside a feature dataset using the SDE reader. Features outside a feature dataset are fine.

We have just discovered that a FeatureReader transformer will read them so maybe this is a bug in 2023?

icon

Best answer by martin_ekstrand 23 November 2023, 08:13

View original

10 replies

Badge +9

Hi @afod​ 

We are not aware of any such discrepancies in behavior between FME 2023 when dealing with FeatureDataset.

FeatureDataset_2023 

Can you verify that in Parameter --> Constraints --> Remove Feature Dataset option is "unchecked"?

Badge +3

Hi, yes we tried all iterations of the settings we could to try and resolve it. As its client side we only really have access to the FME and cant look at the SDE.

This is the log message we get when FME tries to read the feature dataset features:

'The table name 'LRS.LRS/LRSE_DSPReferenceLine' could not be found in the Geodatabase as either a feature class or a table. This may be because the current user does not have permission to see 'LRS.LRS/LRSE_DSPReferenceLine''

Also -Installed ArcGIS version is '2.7.0', could this maybe be an issue?

Badge

This is almost definetely a bug. Before 2023, FME didn't care about feature datasets at all.

There is a workaround for now, using @afod​ example:

'LRS.LRS/LRSE_DSPReferenceLine' - lets break this down:

1. LRS. - this is the schema name
  2. LRS/ -this is the feature dataset name
  3. LRSE_DSPReferenceLine - this is the table name

Before 2023, FME would show this particular table as LRS.LRSE_DSPReferenceLine - thus ignoring the feature dataset info. The interesting part is that if you format it like this in the SDE reader, it still works. So basically you have to choose your feature types, copy the entire string, put it in notepad, use find and replace to format your string the "old school way" and paste it back into the reader. Then it works.

Badge

This is almost definetely a bug. Before 2023, FME didn't care about feature datasets at all.

Before 2023, FME would show this particular table as LRS.LRSE_DSPReferenceLine - thus ignoring the feature dataset info. The interesting part is that if you format it like this in the SDE reader, it still works. So basically you have to choose your feature types, copy the entire string, put it in notepad, use find and replace to format your string the "old school way" and paste it back into the reader. Then it works.

Oh and not just that, since the way to add a SDE reader has changed from "point to connection file" to "add database connection in which you point to connection file"... All our hundreds of workspaces using ArcSDE have been bricked. Neither readers nor writers work as they should. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature though? But it's a big change to make without a clear warning :)

Badge +3

Oh and not just that, since the way to add a SDE reader has changed from "point to connection file" to "add database connection in which you point to connection file"... All our hundreds of workspaces using ArcSDE have been bricked. Neither readers nor writers work as they should. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature though? But it's a big change to make without a clear warning :)

Thanks Martin, yes that does sound like a pain. We are in a similar boat. I noticed the change from connection file to DB connection as well and this was what made me think that something was awry. @rahulsharma​ 

Thanks Martin​,

Afod and I have just had this confirmed as a bug by Safe (FMEENGINE-80531)

We are faced with the same problem. Does anyone know in which version fixes the bug FMEENGINE-80531? It is very inconvenient to always tick the "Remove Feature Dataset" box before importing data.

We are faced with the same problem. Does anyone know in which version fixes the bug FMEENGINE-80531? It is very inconvenient to always tick the "Remove Feature Dataset" box before importing data.

Just tested latest FME 2024.0 Build 24185. The problem still exists:

The table name '<table qualifier>.<feature dataset>/<feature class>' could not be found in the Geodatabase as either a feature class or a table. This may be because the current user does not have permission to see '<table qualifier>.<feature dataset>/<feature class>'

Badge +3

Yep just upgraded to 2024 hoping for a fix and we still cant see the feature classes. Have to use 2022 for our workspaces.

The above workaround doesn't seem to work for us either. I now seem to be running into a separate issue where i cant see the feature class names unless I specify the workspace to “ArcMap” mode but then subsequently get told i need to switch it to ArcPro/Server mode when it tries to read them in.

Badge +9

Hi @afod 
I have some great news, our team has recently resolved the issue that you have described. 
You will have to download the latest 2024.0.1 from here (you will need 24195 or newer). 
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.