Skip to main content

I'm using a dynamic workspace with generic writer to create output files in the format that the user selects. When the user chooses to export as ESRI shapefile I would like it to also build the spatial indexes for the output shapefile. I can get it to write the shapefiles just fine but they don't have spatial indexes. Is this possible with the generic writer by setting it in the schema feature somehow? Or would I have to specifically use the shapefile writer which has it as an option?

If you add a shapefile writer, don't connect it to anything, and set the spatial index to Yes on that writer, then the Generic Writer will also use that setting when writing shapefiles.

If you add a shapefile writer, don't connect it to anything, and set the spatial index to Yes on that writer, then the Generic Writer will also use that setting when writing shapefiles.

Thanks, that would have been neat if it had worked... but it doesn't create the indexes for me. I have a dummy shapefile writer in the workbench with the Create spatial index set to "Yes".

Thanks, that would have been neat if it had worked... but it doesn't create the indexes for me. I have a dummy shapefile writer in the workbench with the Create spatial index set to "Yes".

That works for me with a featureWriter set to the generic format, a regular shapefile writer, in FME 2018 and 2019.

What version of FME are you using?