Skip to main content

I am using FME 2018.0 desktop, and writing to a DWG with the AutoCAD Writer (in a feature writer) with a template file which has a large number of blocks. However, not all the blocks are used by the output file that is being written. I have set the writer to "purge unused objects" in the hope it will remove the unused blocks when it writes the output CAD file. However, the unused blocks are still being included in the output file. Has anyone else experienced this issue and/or found a way to resolve it? Could it be an issue with my template file? Below is the information I found about this writer feature in the FME Documentation.

PURGE

This directive can be used to turn on/off purging of unused objects or entities before the final drawing file is written out. Unused objects are those which are not referenced by other objects in the drawing. For example, for a layer to be eligible to be purged, there must be no entities on that layer. If turned on, the AutoCAD Writer will attempt to purge the following object types: Blocks, Layers, Detail View Styles, Dimension Styles, Groups, Linetypes, Materials, MLine Styles, MLeader Styles, Registered Applications, Section View Styles, Table Styles, Text Styles, and Visual Styles.

With the help of Safe we found a fix for this issue. The fix is to use the Autodesk AutoCAD RealDWG DWG/DXF writer instead of the Autodesk AutoCAD DWG/DXF writer.