Question

How to Implement Printing Functionality by calling FME Automation Webhook

• 6 November 2023
  • 0 replies

I've recently developed a Workspace App using FME Flow where users can enter search criteria, and the backend workbench processes this input to return an HTML results page with a list of database query results. I now need to implement a printing feature that allows users to print a selected row from the results table.

Here's my current setup:

1. I've added a print button to each row of the results table.
  2. When a user clicks this button, it triggers a webhook URL intended to initiate an FME Flow automation. This automation isn't yet configured but will be responsible for creating a printable document.

My initial idea, which I'm open to feedback on, is as follows:

• Capture the data from the selected row and pass it to the webhook URL.
  • Use the necessary workbench logic in the automation to generate a Word/PDF document with the chosen information.
  • Allow the document to either be downloaded directly (preferred) by the user's browser or present it for printing.

I’m aiming for the most straightforward solution, ideally with direct browser download without too many intermediate steps or screens for the user.

Could you please provide insights, experiences, or advice on how to best configure this automation? Is there an established best practice or any best practices I should be aware of?

I've attached a simplified image of the process diagram to give a clearer picture of the workflow I'm trying to achieve.

SSP-Printing 

I appreciate any guidance or suggestions the FME community can offer. Thank you!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!