Skip to main content

Hi all,

I’m having an issue getting some Flow App users to be able to successfully write to an ArcGIS SDE database. I am getting the following error.

“An error occurred while attempting to retrieve the connection parameters from the connection file ‘SDE Connection’”

This had previously been working fine, but with the upgrade from 2022 to 2023, connecting to SDE now requires a stored database connection, which then gets uploaded when it is published. Previously, at 2022, I think it was just storing the UNC pathing to the SDE connection file, and as long as FME Flow had access to this folder, everything was fine.

Initially the App users were set up with Access permission to the Flow Workspace Apps, and nothing else. After a bit of hunting around I then added Access permission to the Connections, as this seemed like it might be necessary.

But unfortunately this seems to have made no difference, and the users are still getting the same error.

Are there any other permission requirements that are necessary for this workflow to work

Thanks

keith

It should be enough to grant access to the specific connection. Can you run the workspace on Flow as a regular, logged-in, user?

Yes. In fact if I go into the log of the failed process, i can resubmit the job, and it works perfectly

Hey Keith,

When you say access, can I confirm that is access to the specific connection, rather than access to the broader connections. e.g.

The other one to confirm is to look at the parameter FME_SECURITY_ROLES in the log file, and just ensure that the token you are updating is the correct one.

Cheers,

Todd

Hi Todd,

The access to the connections looks exactly like your example for each of the users. I have specifically shared the database connection to the users.

As for the FME_SECURITY_ROLES, I have 

--FME_SECURITY_ROLES' ` "token:KHastings.Workspace<space>App<space>-<space>ExternalUserName"]'

I’m not exactly sure what I am expecting to see here, but the ExternalUsername bit does match the FME username that is trying to use the app.

Cheers

keith

Hey Keith,

Its that token you need to update, rather than the users. That is, the users don’t need to have access to the connection, it is the token that needs access.

So you need to to find the token starting with Workspace App  ExternalUserName

under:

<server>/fmeserver/tokens/all

Then give that token the access to the connection.

Cheers,

Todd

Thanks Todd, that seems to be it.

None of those tokens had access, so I have added that, and will cross my fingers for the next bit of data that comes in.

I presume restoring the connection access is so convoluted because of the change in connection styles, and just creating something from scratch would be much more straightforward.

Cheers

keith