Skip to main content

We've upgraded to fme server 2021, and when we build a new automation, it's impossible to use a value from upstream and pass it to a workspace parameter when the parameter type is not plain text. Before with fme 2020, its was possible to set a choice parameter with a uptream value.

automationFmeServer2021 

Is this a bug, or a new behavior for fme server 2021 ?

Hi @matpelle​ ,

There is a known enhancement requesting support for a number of parameter types that don't currently allow reference to upstream keys (internal reference FMESERVER-16526). As well as the choice parameter type this includes:

• Colour
  • Date
  • Password
  • Attribute Name
  • Database Connection
  • Web Connection
  • Reprojection File
  • Geometry

I have tested FME Server 2020.0 b20200, 2020.1.1 b20614 and 2021.0 b21302 and for all three versions, I was not able to select an upstream key for a choice parameter in Automations. Please could you let me know what build of 2020 previously worked for you?

Hi @matpelle​ ,

There is a known enhancement requesting support for a number of parameter types that don't currently allow reference to upstream keys (internal reference FMESERVER-16526). As well as the choice parameter type this includes:

• Colour
  • Date
  • Password
  • Attribute Name
  • Database Connection
  • Web Connection
  • Reprojection File
  • Geometry

I have tested FME Server 2020.0 b20200, 2020.1.1 b20614 and 2021.0 b21302 and for all three versions, I was not able to select an upstream key for a choice parameter in Automations. Please could you let me know what build of 2020 previously worked for you?

Hi @matpelle​ ,

I was just doing some more testing and I found in 2020 there were 5 different Choice parameter types:

• Choice
  • Choice (multiple)
  • Choice or Text
  • Choice with Alias
  • Choice with Alias (multiple)

Of these 5, if you use Choice or Text, this type does allow you to use upstream keys in an Automation.

In 2021.0 the Parameter Manager was completely re-written, and all these were bundled into a single Choice Type but with more advanced configuration options. Therefore in 2021.0 to create a user parameter that is equivalent to the 'Choice or Text' option change the Allow Edit parameter to equal yes under the Choice Configuration section. With this change, you should now be able to specify an upstream key for this parameter value.

Hi @matpelle​ ,

• Colour
  • Date
  • Password
  • Attribute Name
  • Database Connection
  • Web Connection
  • Reprojection File
  • Geometry

Hi @hollyatsafe​ ,

I've double check , and I realized that i've missunderstood the behavior on fme server 2020. My mistake !!