Skip to main content
Solved

Adding URL of FME Flow server to Email from Automation?

• 5 June 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi,

Just a quick question about this scenario:

we are going to send an Email from an Automation in the case that a translation fails. To populate the body of this Email we can use several parameters (workspace name, automation name, repository name, job id, start and end time of the job, etc.). Now we would also like to add the URL of the FME Flow server to the Email body.

Why? Two reasons:

1. We have got 4 different FME Flow environments - D, T, A & Production - and we want the server who sends the email to identify itself
  2. It would be cool to add a hyperlink to the job log to the Email body and with the URL and the Job ID we would be able to compile such a link

So, the question is: would this be possible? Where and how could we retrieve this URL? It is not a parameter in the list provided, as far as I know.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Egge-Jan

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +14

OK - kind of solved it, using FME Flow 2023, by setting custom Deployment Parameters in each environment.

Cheers,

Egge-Jan

Userlevel 6
Badge +35

You could also use the FME_SERVER_WEB_URL parameter for this 😁

Userlevel 2
Badge +14

You could also use the FME_SERVER_WEB_URL parameter for this 😁

How would that work if I want to configure the Email body text in the Automation on FME Flow? If I put $(FME_SERVER_WEB_URL) in the text, I do get it untranslated in my email, i.e. it still reads $(FME_SERVER_WEB_URL)…

What is the syntax to use there? Is this a parameter I could only use in Workbench?

E-J

Userlevel 6
Badge +35

Ah, yes, I had overlooked the Automation part.

You could use it in a workspace and then write it out through the Automations writer in an attribute, so it becomes available as a custom attribute in the Automation. It doesn't even have to be inside the workspace that does the work, it could be a simple workspace before the one that does the work as those attributes do get carried through the Automation. It does count as a job run though 😕

Interestingly enough, while the server url is available as a parameter inside a workspace, it is not available by default as an attribute in an Automation. I think an idea for this would be in order.

Userlevel 2
Badge +14

Ah, yes, I had overlooked the Automation part.

Interestingly enough, while the server url is available as a parameter inside a workspace, it is not available by default as an attribute in an Automation. I think an idea for this would be in order.

OK, thanks. Glad to hear from an expert that I did not overlook something. I do think the workspace option, with an Automations writer, would not even work in case of a general failure, right? The parameters from the worksapce are only passed via this route if the process reaches the Automations writer. But if you connect the Email to the general Action Failed port, parameter data from the workspace is not available at all.

So, yes time for an IDEA

(For the time being I will stick with my custom Deployment Parameters solution).

Cheers,

Egge-Jan

Userlevel 6
Badge +35

That’s right, you wouldn’t be able to catch failures that way so I think your deployment parameter solution is the best option for now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +35

Here’s the idea: