Skip to main content
Hi !

I have a reader on my FME Desktop 2013 workbench which opens data from an Oracle spatial database.

Reading the data take a long time, since it is a huge dataset.

The first step of my process is to use a SpatialFilter in order to select the features of my dataset which are included in a relative narrow region.

This means that I opend a lot of data that are not used in my process.

In order to avoid this, I can specify a Search Envelope in the parameters of the Reader. I guess that by doing this I only open the feartures that are within this envelope.

My question :

In the Search Envelope, I have to manually define the Min X, Min Y, Max X, Max Y values. Is it possible to derive these values automatically from another dataset ?

My idea is to add another reader on my workbench to open the delimitations of all the municipalities, to "TestFilter" this data in order to select only the municipality I need, to derive the Min X, Min Y, Max X, Max Y values of this municipality, and finally to use these values as a input parameters of the Search Envelope of the reader from which I need the data.

Thanks !
Hi,

you can publish the Search Envelope parameters by right-clicking them. You can then create a second workspace that reads your bounding feature and passes the search envelope to the first workspace using a WorkspaceRunner.

Alternatively, look into replacing the Oracle reader with a Feature reader.

David
Hi,

It this case a Feature Reader is the best option.

You can read the municipalities feature(s), pass via a tester to select your feature of choice (for example municipality name). Edit/create a published parameter, import the municipality names from the feature(s).

Now you can use the parameter in the tester, to select you feature of choice when prompting.

Connect that to a Feature Reader and configure it intersect (or a spatial test of your choice).

Hope this helps

Itay