Question

Database connection confiurations

• 26 November 2012
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
I was wondering I do a lot of ad hoc workbenches to various databases and geodatabases.  Is it currently possible (if not I would like to suggest it as an improvement) save the conection properities for teh databases I frequently.  This would be a huge time saver and save on problems with typos. 

4 replies

Hi Chris,

when you connect to a database (e.g. ArcSDE) you have to fill in the connection parameters. At the bottom of this dialogue you can click on 'default' and then choose the option 'Safe as My Defaults'. This saves your parameters.

Best regard,

Stefan  
Badge +1
I was aware of that but I am looking so save several different database connections, not justa single configurations.
Badge +21
I guess an option would be to save all parameters in a database (or a *.csv-file).

Perhaps like this:

FMEName,mydatabase, username,password

Myfirstdatabase,localhost,myuser,password

Anotherdatabase,192.168.1.1,anyuser,aslkdjf

Then you can use a parameter in the workspace that lets the user select the first column (FMEName).

Then a Python-Startupscript can read the CSV-file and set the corresponding attributes in the workspace to the correct values.

The bad thing is if this CSV-file gets lost - it will be easy to "break in". However for testing this might be good enough.
I have a similar question. Is there a way to store the connection parameters once for a particular database, so I can reference it in all future ETLs? The DBAs change passwords on a regular basis, and I don't want to have to change all of my ETLs each time that occurs. Any best practices for reader / writer management?