Solved

ArcGIS Server License for FME Fow

• 20 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +6

Hi Community,

I am developing a workbench which is reading and writing data to ArcSDE Geodatabase. As per the information which is available in the Knowledge base I need to have ArcGIS Enterprise(Server) Software to be installed and Licensed in the same machine of FME Flow installation. Here my question is:  If I have the ArcGIS Server License which is installed in some other machine, can I assign the License with the FME Flow machine?

icon

Best answer by harish 26 March 2024, 07:49

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +19

When FME Flow connects to ArcGIS (SDE), ArcGIS server must be installed AND licensed on the same FME flow Engine service machine. The ArcGIS version must be compatible with FME: Notes on FME and Esri Versions and Compatibility.

More information on using FME Flow with ESRI ArcGIS software is available in this link

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

It is hard to give a correct response on this, because legally you are only allowed to install FME server and ArcGIS Enterprise on the same machine.

It is technically possible to install ArcGIS Pro with a standalone license on the same machine as FME server, and I have seen posts where users were told (not by Safe employees) the were allowed to do this as they already had Enterprise installed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +19

The link above states the following about fme flow being able to read esri formats:

Badge +6

There are a couple of options here.

One is to install a FME Flow Engine on the ArcGIS Server host. Then route the Esri jobs via a separate FME Flow Queue to the remote Esri Engine.

The second option is, if applicable, to use the Readers/Writers for Esri ArcGIS Portal (or Esri ArcGIS Online) Feature Services. Then you don’t need a Esri Server license, i.e.you can run the FME Engine on any host available. However, for bulk loading large datasets I would go with the first option.

Badge +6

The answer to my question is available in the below link. 

https://support.safe.com/s/article/using-fme-server-with-esri-software

Userlevel 3
Badge +19

@harish I think you’ll find my answer had the link/answer to the above knowledge base article about requiring FME server license on Flow.