Question

Some characters in the password for FME Server Database seems to make installation unusable.

• 5 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

When installing FME Server 2022.2.5 b22795, i used the character '¤' in the PostgreSQL database password. The password was accepted and the installation finished without warnings or errors.

Then, none of the FME Services would start. When looking for the configuration files, I noticed that server.xml was missing. I copied it from another installation wich made the FME Server Application Server start. The FME Server database service would not start still.

After some troubleshooting, I decided to reinstall. When asked again for the password, for some reason, I used another password without the '¤' sign. After the installation, all services started up and the server.xml file was where it's supposed to be.

I have repeated the procedure on a different machine with the same result.

My guess is that the '¤' sign is approved by the FME installation program but not accepted by the database. I don't understand why the server.xml file was missing though.

For english/american users, this might be an odd symbol but on a swedish QWERTY keyboard layout it replaces the $ sign on Shift + 4, so it's easy to access and accepted in passwords in other systems.

If this is the case I think the installation program should not silently accept characters that PostgreeSQL will not.

1 reply

Userlevel 4

It might be an encoding issue between the installer, configuration files and the way the different components connect to the database.

For this reason I sometimes end up using only regular ASCII characters (decimal 33-126) for passwords, but compensate with password length.