Skip to main content
Question

Is there another way we could deliver the installation options for FME Server?

• 19 September 2017
  • 2 replies

You've been asked to install FME Server.

First question you ask yourself, what does the IT department want?
Is it an Express Installation or is it Distributed or maybe Customized installation.
Do I install an Express first and later reconfigure a distributed database? Do I use an FME Server System Share on the network or locally? What are the advantages?
Do I need a new user for the FME Services. The questions go on and the options are many, often leading to more questions.

There are many ways to install FME Server and we do our best to share the documentation and articles to try to highlight the more popular and supported installation options. Do we cover all your questions? I'm personally curious to learn our user experiences when they are approached to install FME Server in a new environment. Could we make your job easier?

Do you have suggestions on how we might present the documentation differently to help you make the best decisions for the installation desired? Maybe a flowchart that takes you along a different paths to identify options and related documentation steps to do the installation?
Or maybe a series of questions with options you check off as you go that then presents the necessary steps and applicable doc links for the installation?

I’m throwing this out to our fine FME User Community to learn about your personal experiences so we can further enhance the FME Server installation experience.

It would be nice if the Express Install allowed for the option to specify the account to run the services.

My personal pain point the last time I installed FME was "The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\\Program Files\\FMEServer\\Utilities\\pgsql. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator"

Even when I was logged in as admin, even when I was running the installer with elevated privileges, even when the sys admin was logged in.

It would be nice if the Express Install allowed for the option to specify the account to run the services.

My personal pain point the last time I installed FME was "The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\\Program Files\\FMEServer\\Utilities\\pgsql. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator"

Even when I was logged in as admin, even when I was running the installer with elevated privileges, even when the sys admin was logged in.
Agree about the service account, that would be handy.