Question

Is it currently possible to set-up one master license mananger server and a backup failover server both using the same license in Flexlm?

• 15 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Dear FME community,

We would like to have redunancy in our FME Form licencing using Flexlm. We have x number of licenses that should not be divided over n servers, but the same licenses need to be configured on all servers, master and backup. In case of crash of the master server the backup machines need to automatically take over.

Only thing I could find was: https://community.safe.com/s/bridea/a0r4Q00000HbqijQAB/configure-a-backup-or-failover-license-manager

The answer of Rylan doesn't specify if his suggested method is for load-balancing or/and a backup-license manager.

The flexlm guide online states:

"The following is an example of a license file that is configured for three-server redundancy. 

SERVER pat 17003456 2837 PRIMARY_IS_MASTER 

SERVER lee 17004355 2837 

SERVER terry 17007ea8 2837 

VENDOR demo 

FEATURE f1 demo 1.0 1-jan-2018 10 SIGN=”<...>” 

FEATURE f2 demo 1.0 1-jan-2018 10 SIGN=”<...>”"

The license-file should be the same on the master and all the redundancy machines

It seems you can group the servers in the lic-file, but then the features should not be bound to one host, but to several. The feature lines in the Safe-provided Lic-file has those codes.

example:

FEATURE fmeobjects_reproject safe 1.0 "expiry-date" 2 "code" BORROW=720

Can you tell if what we want is possible and how to request/configure the lic-file.

Thanks in advance.

Matthijs

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Have you seen this documentation?

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME-Form-Documentation/FME-Form-Admin-Guide/FMEInstallation/Installing_Three_Server_Redundant_Floating_License_Windows.htm

Thanks for the quick response.

Seen that one as well but following this guide didn't work with the lic-file we received. Might be that the issues are related to the lic-file(s). We received two of them, one for every server, which already seemed strange to me.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks for the quick response.

Seen that one as well but following this guide didn't work with the lic-file we received. Might be that the issues are related to the lic-file(s). We received two of them, one for every server, which already seemed strange to me.

Hi @mckastelijns​, I would suggest setting up a failover serial number for your FME Form, and that way you can have a production install as well as a failover with 2 serial numbers. To do this, you'll first need to speak to your CAM who will be able to approve the failover serial number-- this way you'll be able to set up a second environment. I hope this helps!