Skip to main content

I'm currently preparing to upgrade to FME Server 2019. I'm looking to install the new version in parallel but when attempting to install the new version of FME Server, it results in an error of "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue." This error occurs when using a different directory and/or drive.

There are a couple of articles I've read, one mentions installing multiple versions of FME Server is possible (https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/796/installing-multiple-versions-of-fme.html), while the administrator guide states uninstall then install (https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Upgrade-in-Place-Same-Machine.htm ).

Is it possible to install multiple versions on the same machine?

Hi @milo89,

I am afraid it is not possible with FME Server, the article you mention is about FME Desktop.

Hi @milo89

You cannot install multiple versions of FME Server on one machine. You can have multiple versions of FME Desktop though, which is what that article you linked is referring to.

You would need to uninstall your current version (I'd recommend a restart inbetween) and then install the new version, or install 2019 on a different server to make the migration smoother, minimise downtime and confirm the new install is working as you need.

Hi @milo89,

I am afraid it is not possible with FME Server, the article you mention is about FME Desktop.

Thanks @itay, that makes sense.

I definitely misread "You may also wish to have multiple FME products installed on the same computer. Both FME Server and FME Desktop can be run on the same machine without compatibility issues."

Hi @milo89

You cannot install multiple versions of FME Server on one machine. You can have multiple versions of FME Desktop though, which is what that article you linked is referring to.

You would need to uninstall your current version (I'd recommend a restart inbetween) and then install the new version, or install 2019 on a different server to make the migration smoother, minimise downtime and confirm the new install is working as you need.

Thanks @jlutherthomas.

I'll be sure to follow the administrator guide and your handy tips.