Skip to main content
I need to create FME Smallworld Edition license server. Do I need to install smallworld core on that system?

@debashish - No, you do not need to install Smallworld Core to the same system as FME Server. Though make sure that the FME Server Windows Services are running as User/Service Account that has privileges to access Smallworld over your internal network.

Please also note that the same configuration for FME Desktop applies to FME Server (i.e. sworldswaf.fmf and swordswaf.dll installation).

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/107/fme-and-smallworld-configuration-options.html

Hi @debashish,

something I have to take into account using Smallworld and FME at one of my clients, is that Smallworld needs te be running to be able to use the Smallworld reader. I am not sure whether it has to do with the way they set up their architecture, but it might be something to take into account if workspaces will fail.

Hi @debashish,

something I have to take into account using Smallworld and FME at one of my clients, is that Smallworld needs te be running to be able to use the Smallworld reader. I am not sure whether it has to do with the way they set up their architecture, but it might be something to take into account if workspaces will fail.

Yes, the communication between FME and Smallworld session is established through server host and port. If there is none, FME returns error: Unable to connect to Smallworld Server. Is it running?

Dear @rylanatsafe, can you confirm that it is still possible nowadays to activate a Smallworld Edition license on FME server ? It looks contradictory with the table at the bottom of this page: https://www.safe.com/integrate/ge-smallworld/.

We have a floating license of FME Desktop Smallworld Edition and I would like to be sure we can publish workflows containing SmallWorld readers and writers to FME server. If that works, can you also please tell me if we need a second SmallWorld edition license (one for FME server and another one to keep using the desktop version) ? Thanks in avance

Dear @rylanatsafe, can you confirm that it is still possible nowadays to activate a Smallworld Edition license on FME server ? It looks contradictory with the table at the bottom of this page: https://www.safe.com/integrate/ge-smallworld/.

We have a floating license of FME Desktop Smallworld Edition and I would like to be sure we can publish workflows containing SmallWorld readers and writers to FME server. If that works, can you also please tell me if we need a second SmallWorld edition license (one for FME server and another one to keep using the desktop version) ? Thanks in avance

@jonniedeb - That's a great question, and I think the table on our page "Integrate GE Smallworld Using FME" is not populated correctly.

You should be able to run Smallworld translations on FME Server, and you do not require a different or additional license for FME Server to do so.

You will only need to install the Smallworld Translator (DLLs) the same for how you have done with FME Desktop.

Hope that helps! If you need any additional assistance getting setup, please contact our Support Team.