Skip to main content
Is there a way in FME Server 2013 to email the entire log of a workspace job?

I setup the notification/topic/subscription to send an email after a job completes, but all the email says is success or failure.  I want the details on what happened right there in the email.

As far as I can tell the only way is to Python shutdown script that runs after the workspace closes.  It would read the logfile for the job, check if there was an error or warning messages, and if so use python smtblib to email the entire contents of the job log to me.  I guess the other benefit of this is I can provide the To: email address as a dynamic parameter of the workspace.  I plan to use the same workspace dynamically for different datasets. Based on which dataset its working on, email that dataset's maintainer directly. 

Is there a more straight-forward out of the box approach?  The FMEServerEmailGenerator and FMEServerNotifier seem close, but I'd need the logfile after the workspace completes.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Andrew R.
Hi Andrew,

I don't know any straight-fowrad way of dumping the entire log within the e-mail but you can easily attach it as .log file.

set the ATTACH_TRANSFORMATION_LOG to true within your propertiesFile.properties in:

C:\\Program Files\\FMEServer\\Utilities\\tomcat\\webapps\\fmedatadownload\\WEB-INF\\conf

#ATTACH_TRANSFORMATION_LOG - A boolean value that determines if transformation

#                            log needs to be attached to notification email

ATTACH_TRANSFORMATION_LOG=true

This example would work for a datadownload service but you have the same propertiy files for other services as well (brows to the correct folder).

You restart your FME Server application and you now have an attached log file to any datadownload job. I hope it helps.

JP.